• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera cal. in Aberdeenshire Scotland? (1 Viewer)

Andy Strachan

Scotland
Hi guys,

For anyone in the Aberdeenshire area of Scotland.. could you recommend any one for camera and lens calibration?

Would like to send camera and lens in to get checked out and calibrated. I've attempted to check calibration in the past, but would rather have a professional do it for peace of mind. I'm just never satisfied with the quality of my images. I met another birder recently who had the same lens as me (never asked what his camera was), and I just couldn't believe the difference in quality.
I'm sure having any professional check the calibration would be ok, but thought that a professional recommended by the birding community would be the best option.

Cheers

What camera and what lens are you having trouble with?
Just a Nikon D3300, with Sigma 150-600 C.
I tried out my wife's D5500 and had similar results. Was a while ago now. Probably worth checking it out again, but like I say, I'd be willing to pay someone locally to check it all out just for peace of mind. Would consider upgrading camera after that if that's holding back performance.
We've sort of had this conversation before.. haha

You were very helpful, but I ended up getting a bit frustrated last time. Something else came along and this went on the back burner. Having a look at that thread again just now... I'll maybe re-try some of your tips there and see how I get on.

Good news is that the Sigma 150-600 C can be fine-tuned to a specific camera body like yours that on its own does not permit user corrections.
This requires the "Dock" (costs ~$50) that allows to connect the lens to a computer and to use the Sigma software to dial in correction values for a set of different focal lengths and distances. (Demo Video:
)
"Bad news" is that those correction values must be determined with test shots, and with over a dozen or so different values that must be be determined this is a very time consuming process. Not very difficult to do, but it will take at least 2 hours to get it done. Reasonable to DIY, having it done by someone commercially will become costly, and depending on the initial reason for the mismatch between lens and body results may still be sub-optimal.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back