• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Call ID help of Wren/Babbler? in Guangxi (1 Viewer)

Barbets48

This morning I was out birding in a small park in Baise, Guangxi. I came upon a small planted garden area where a bird was making a repeated chip sound in the undergrowth. Though the plants were only 6 inches tall, and I was standing only a few meters from the bird, it managed to stay completely hidden for the whole of 10 minutes, and I could only sometimes see the plants moving a bit. It continuously made a repeated chipping sound and responded to a chip sound I was making. The bird was very small in size, and its vocalization and general size reminded me a lot of the Winter Wren I am familiar with from North America.

My initial thought was perhaps Pygmy Cupwing, but upon listening to the call online, it doesn't seem to match. Would Eurasian Wren be a possible/likely option? Other ideas?

I have attached an audio file of the bird's repeated call.

Mike

Attachments

• 2019-01-0, Baise, Guangxi, Mystery Bird call.m4a
    108.4 KB · Views: 22
Thanks John for the feedback. After listening to the first recording of the alarm call of Brown-flanked Bush Warbler on Xeno Canto, it definitely seems to fit. I was expecting a bird that was more compact/smaller without the longer tail of the bush-warbler, but since I never managed to get a decent look, the sound is more reliable.

I had heard this previously in my area, but hadn't known what it was.
Thanks,

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back