• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

buyjng new scopes (1 Viewer)

scampo said:
but then, if you recall, I had so many problems with marks and air bubbles in the Opticron scopes and zoom eyepieces that in the end I gave up and paid up, finishing up with the Nikon ED82A (and never looking back - although it's still with Nikon being repaired after an unfortunate accident).

was a pain that, but then it happens with all makes.

How flipping long have Nikon had your scope? Interestingly i-f tell me that opticron are the easiest to deal with if you have problems. Of course we all hope we don't have problems!!!

They have run out of stock of spare lens hoods - just my luck. Apparently it could be some weeks... Yes - In Focus said the same to me, and I reckon they might be right because the CP4500 (which was attached to the scope when I knocked them both over (-: ) was fixed within a week.

What I like about Nikon is that when you phone them you get straight through to a real person (!) and are dealt with in a very friendly and efficient manner.

Hello everyone, been scanning all your views and they make very interesting reading,thanks for all your help. Still a bit unsure what to go for ( had decided on the ES 80 GA ED until all this talk of the Nikkon ED 78). I could just about afford one, with the 38x eyepiece that it comes with, but a zoom for it would as i said be too costly . The reason i wanted a zoom was that i thought it would be more practical, esp as a lot of my viewing will be long range ( Peregrine watching, and soon off to N.Wales on hol). I thought that i would get a decent field of view when on low mag then zoom in for more detail, never used one before though. As the Nikkon is being discontinued how difficult would it be to get spare parts if ever needed.? If most of you think the 38x eyepiece will suit my needs as mentioned, i will bow to your wisdom and send off to Warehouse express for the Nikkon . By the way i already have a good camera tripod that could be used. Hope i have'nt bored you all with such a long thread. !!
Regards Phil.

Bored? Not at all.

Hope you enjoy the scope. Nikon do some good optics (my bins are Nikon),

Spare parts? Well the lens' (Scampo will correct if I'm wrong ;) ) for the 78 & 82 are identical and its guaranteed for 10 years.

I don't know if they are the same optics (82mm vs. 78mm), but Nikon still repair cameras that have long been discontinued. They are a leading multinational optics company so issues over future repair would not be one of my concerns.

I think for distant views many birders are happy with a fixed eyepiece - but, I have to say, that is where a zoom can sometimes come into its own - and the Nikon goes up to 75x, if it comes to that.

I'd go for the 38xW fixed eyepiece and buy the zoom later. I attach my spare eyepiece to the stay-on case and it's no great problem to switch eyepieces.

Last edited:
I don't know anyone who had regretted buying more expensive optics than he/she originally thought. I am sure you will get a good price from Nikon if for some reason you are not happy with it. I too recommend Nikon with the 38xW.

Ilkka

iporali said:
I don't know anyone who had regretted buying more expensive optics than he/she originally thought.

Ilkka

So true,Ilkka,my only regret in the past was delaying the decision and I now advise anyone who asks ..go for it!

fender said:
Hello everyone, been scanning all your views and they make very interesting reading,thanks for all your help. Still a bit unsure what to go for ( had decided on the ES 80 GA ED until all this talk of the Nikkon ED 78). I could just about afford one, with the 38x eyepiece that it comes with, but a zoom for it would as i said be too costly . The reason i wanted a zoom was that i thought it would be more practical, esp as a lot of my viewing will be long range ( Peregrine watching, and soon off to N.Wales on hol). I thought that i would get a decent field of view when on low mag then zoom in for more detail, never used one before though. As the Nikkon is being discontinued how difficult would it be to get spare parts if ever needed.? If most of you think the 38x eyepiece will suit my needs as mentioned, i will bow to your wisdom and send off to Warehouse express for the Nikkon . By the way i already have a good camera tripod that could be used. Hope i have'nt bored you all with such a long thread. !!
Regards Phil.

You really need to have a look at something very similar to the ED 78 before you buy, if you can get to somewhere that has an ED 82 to compare to the ES80 you will get a reasonable comparison. The zoom lens gives a field of view of 28m at 1000m, the 38x lens has a field of view of 33m at 1000m and the 30x has a field of view of 42m according to the nikon website. So the circle that you see through the 30X lens is just a bit bigger than 2 times the area of the zoom lens, but the 38x lens is shows less than 1.4 times the area. If you are seeking a bird in the air at a distance I would have thought this would make a difference. But only you can tell when you use it. The Nikon has been discontinued but Nikon have a good reputation for looking after their older equipment.

I have used the 38xW lens, Bill and it is surprisingly wide angle, very bright, contrasty and sharp as a pin to the edge. I'd probably add the zoom later when funds allow if I bought the ED78 with it. As you say, the ED82 (which is what I use) is probably nearly identical to the ED78 in terms of image.

The latest 30/38/zoom eyepieces are also very similar - but now all have twist up plastic eyecups instead of fold-down rubber - a small detail, really. However, the zoom optics have been re-designed and designated "MCII".

'In Focus' sell the Nikon - and usually have good viewing facilities, so if Phil can get to one of their shops it would be useful. When I looked through the 38x at their Titchwell shop, I was more than a little impressed, as I say - but I always prefer the view of a fixed wide angle eyepiece to that of any zoom.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas, thats very helpful, i had decided on the Nikkon and sent an e-mail to warehouse exp to try and reserve one, as unable to contact them any other way (because of easter) . I may go to ' in focus' at slimbridge tomorrow.
Phil.

Fender.If warehouse express can supply a 30xeyepiece i think this is a better option as 38x may be a bit too powerfull. IMHO 30x is the ideal magnification good light gathering fov and depth of field.Dont worry about the Nikon not being waterproof as this is just the latest fad and you can get a case.I know this wont concern you now but the Nikon will hold a better second hand value.

I would agree but the offer is only with the 38x, Graham, sadly - but I still feel that the deal is a real bargain and that the 38x is an excellent piece of kit. It's wide and offers a decent magnification for everyday birding. Your comment on waterproofing is spot on - the Nikon is 'shower proof' and that means, for all intents and purposes, safe against rain, which is all that matters.

Steve i do agree if its showerproof that all that matters,shame they only do the Nikon with the 38x. Stilla good deal though.

Ragna said:
Steve i do agree if its showerproof that all that matters,shame they only do the Nikon with the 38x. Stilla good deal though.

They sell the scope on its own for £500 and you can add one of the more recent eyepieces such as the 30xw at £190. It's still a good price.

Ragna said:
Dont worry about the Nikon not being waterproof as this is just the latest fad and you can get a case. QUOTE]

The ED 78 comes with a carry case but there is no Stay on case available for it. The carry case fits on the scope whilst it is stil on the tripod so if you attach the carry cases strap when you take it off it hangs around the top of the tripod and makes a good receptacle for the lens covers.

I think Warehouse Express are selling the old-style eyepieces with rubber eyecups with the ED 78. I'd be interested to know if anyone has compared these eyepieces with the new MC series of wide-angle eyepieces, which are fully multicoated, unlike their predecessors. Are the new ones obviously better optically?
And am I alone in preferring the comfort of rubber-style eyecups for both bins and scopes; the tough shiny type used on the later Zeiss 7x42s for example, rather than the soft type on the Nikon 8x32s?

Perhaps screw-in eyecups are an advantage only for spectacle-wearers?

Sean

I think only the zoom eyepiece has altered optically as it is now called MCII; the fixed eyepieces are still called MCI. The extra multicoating surely won't have made a deal of difference as even recent reviews were highly favourable.

On another thread, Jane Turner has sung the praises of the ED78 + 38x and that from a very experienced birder indeed:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=138356#post138356

Hi everyone, went to symonds yat rock on easter monday to see Peregrins.
The r.sp.b. were there with some scopes, a Leica, swarovski, and a new bushnel
scope, my wife and i both agreed the leica apo 62 gave the best view, the bushnel 80mm the next, the swarovski 80mm surprisingly giving a noticably poorer view. Also there were some regular, experienced birdwatchers there with their scopes: an couple of optolyth 80's , a leica apo77, and an opticron classic with a hdf zoom. We were able to look through all of these which were pretty good, the classic , despite being much cheaper than the others gave a really good clear, sharp image. I got to talking about my being about to buy a new scope and the nickon ed78, that i had decided upon, without exception all the birders said unfavourable things about the nikon and suggested that my other choice, the opticron es 80 ga ed would be a much better buy, which helped me make my final decision to get one. Got really good deal from Warehouse express : angled scope, with 32xww hdf eyepiece, free stay-on case, and free opticron hide clamp, i added a 20-60x hdf zoom and padded eyepiece case to the order and got the lot inc next day delivery, all for £660. not bad eh! . Yet to try it out, but hope to do so tomorrow (weather permitting !) , i'm sure given the favourable reports on here that my wife and i are going to enjoy it! .
Regards Phil.

Nikon... unfavourable... without exception? I wonder how many of those birders can ever have used a Nikon scope? That was very odd advice indeed as in the literature Nikon scopes scopes are invariably very highly regarded and have always been universally well reviewed - indeed often equated with the best available. I would have been intrigued to hear those birders' objective criticisms!

Anyway - you ended up with a fine scope and two very useful eyepieces so you'll soon be enjoying the wonderful sights they will bring. A good scope is a revelation - literally.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back