• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell twist eyecups Birding 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Musoman

PETE - Nikon/Sony Shooter
United Kingdom
I have these Bushnell Birding Series 8x42 WA, and the eyecups are not right. The left eyecup twists out very loosely. I can just use one finger.
By contrast, the right eyecup needs a grip with thumb and forefinger akin to strangling something to extend it.

Both eyecups stay out fine when fully extended, because they are twist out and not pull out. So they stay put when up to my face. But i would like to get inside and see if i can figure out what's going on.

Does anyone know this model, and how to remove the eyecups without doing any damage ? I'm also hoping if i can remove the cups, i can get to the lenses and clean them on the inside

Thanks

Attachments

• bush1.jpg
    bush1.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 13
  • bush2.jpg
    bush2.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 10
  • bush3.jpg
    bush3.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 12
  • bush4.jpg
    bush4.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 13
I have these Bushnell Birding Series 8x42 WA, and the eyecups are not right. The left eyecup twists out very loosely. I can just use one finger.
By contrast, the right eyecup needs a grip with thumb and forefinger akin to strangling something to extend it.

Both eyecups stay out fine when fully extended, because they are twist out and not pull out. So they stay put when up to my face. But i would like to get inside and see if i can figure out what's going on.

Does anyone know this model, and how to remove the eyecups without doing any damage ? I'm also hoping if i can remove the cups, i can get to the lenses and clean them on the inside

Thanks
The rubber eyecups are sleeves that are glued on. Ease them off and see the slots with tiny screws in them. Remove the three screws and the sleeve.
You can now see the tiny pieces of rubber "O" ring material which are supposed to give the tension as the sleeve moves up and down.
You will find they are missing on the loose side and maybe need a tiny amount of grease in the tight side.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back