• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

burgas bulgaria (1 Viewer)

dabchick

complete novice (got my collins book and a pair of cheap bins for xmas) going to burgas city for one week jan 18th any must see's, advice etc ???

regards dabchick

Hi Dabchick

Some nice areas around Burgas are:

Lake Burgas (or Lake Vaya), just west of town. Scan the lake for Dalmatian Pelican. They're huge and hard to miss. Also Pygmy Cormorant and the rare and endangered White-headed Duck can be found here. Check especially the northern coast and the eastern coast of the Lake.

Lake Mandras, south of town. A careful drive around the lake should produce several Dalmatian Pelicans, White-fronted Geese, Greylag Geese, Pygmy Cormorants (around Meden Rudnik). Sometimes Red-breasted Geese can be found around the lake, but most of them are more in the north (north of Varna)

Hotel Bulgarija: Check this building for Peregrine.

Lake Atanasovsko (north of Burgas). Slender-billed Gulls, but only a few in winter. Also Shelduck, wintering waders, Cetti's Warbler.

North of Pomorje are some saltponds where also Gulls can be found, south of Burgas at the coast are the two reserves Poda and Chengene Skele, but they are quite birdless in winter.

I hope this helps. Greetings from Switzerland

André

I would definately contact the Green Balkans. A Bulgarian Conservation NGO with a strong birdie focus. I have worked with them a number of times and they are very nice people.

Mono

dabchick said:
thanks for your help guys.

dabchick

Except for beeing mainly in the focus of the autumn migration tours, the area of Bourgas is one of the most involved ones for the trips of BirdwatchingBulgaria http://www.birdwatchingbulgaria.com which may also be of use for you for tailor-made itineraries or just for 2-3 days of birding along the Black Sea Coast.
Cheers,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back