• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bumble Hole & Warrens Hall LNR (1 Viewer)

Two hours on the patch this morning produced Goldcrest x 3, Bullfinch x 6 male & 2 female (well impressed), Great spotted Wood, Fieldfare x 4, Mallard x 52, Moorhen x 13, Coot x 16, Canada Goose x 59, Goosander x 1 male, Little Grebe x 2, Grey Heron x 1 & Redwing x 6, also saw my first Bumble Hole Fox.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Hi Laurie
It is an impressive list and with coverage i hope to add more to it.
Good Birding YAMYAM|=)|

Last edited:
A quick visit today only one hour on sight:- Black Headed Gull 200+, L,B,B,G x3, Goosander x2male & 4female, Sparrowhawk, Carion Crow x10, Magpie x 30+, Goldfinch x6, Goldcrest x1 & Little Grebe x3.
Good Birding YAMYAM

A quick visit before work paid off with a Juvenile Glaucous gull (51) briefly on the football pitch that backs on too Bumble Hole, also on Bumble pool Goosander x 9 (3male) Grey Heron x4 & Little Grebe x3.
Good Birding YAMYAM

bumble hole

i,m guessing the place your refering to is the other side of the canal from the old dry dock pub, if so spent a lot of time round there when i first started 3yrs or so ago, was trying to get pics of the kingfisher and seen a lot of the birds on list plus the fox. great little place. ps had my 1st cuckoo up there which i don't think is on your list.

Hi, binus1963 yes that’s the area I am talking about. Thanks for the Cuckoo addition if you can fill any more gaps on the list let me know.
Good Birding YAMYAM

i can add Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler and Yellowhammer from mid 1980s around bumble hole, ps i found the 4 waxwings yesterday along st georges road/wellfield gardens junction just up road from one of the access points to reserve, they were still present this morning, also 18 goosanders (5 Males) yesterday afternoon on main pool but only 5 this morning

Hi,rhbirder thanks for the Yellowhammer record I will add it to the sight list. I hope the Waxwing stick around & the Goosander count was fantastic.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Hi,rollingthunder do you remember the eighties when Goosander where rare in the west midlands county!! when 10 birds in a year was a really good year.
Good Birding YAMYAM

I came across some additions to the sight list from some bird survey work done between 1996 & 2003: - Nuthatch, Willow tit, Grey Wagtail, Green Woodpecker, Meadow pipit, Sedge Warbler, Sky Lark, Coal tit, Reed Warbler, Linnet, Little Owl, Tawny Owl, plus Glaucous gull, Cuckoo per binus1963 & Yellowhammer per rhbirder Taking the sight list to 89.
Good Birding YAMYAM

A three hour visit today produced 40 species. Five of these being patch ticks for me and two of these being new for the patch list.
Highlights being :- Linnet(52) x6, Buzzard x2, Kestrel(53) 1 female, Greenfinch x10, Siskin x8, Redpoll x3, Jackdaw(54) x3 fly over, Stock Dove x4, Raven x1, Goosander x4 (3 male), Little Grebe x3, Moorhen x12, Grey Wagtail(55) x1, A feeding party near the entrance to Nertherton Tunnel produced Great Tit x10+, Blue Tit x16+, Goldcrest x2, Marsh Tit(56) x1 & Long Tailed Tit x5. (Jackdaw & Marsh Tit being new for the patch List taking sight list to 91.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Hi all, a quick visit before work produced a fly over Cormorant(57), Goosander x9 (3male), Little Grebe x3, Coot x10, Sparrowhawk & Grey Heron x3.
Good Birding YAMYAM

For hours on sight today gave me 43 species, highlights being 2 patch ticks Lesser Spotted Woodpecker (58) (A male, I believe I heard one last Sunday) & Treecreeper(59) Lesser Spot being new for the sight putting sight list on 92, also seen Goosander x10, (4 male), little Grebe (displaying), Great Black Backed Gull x1, Kestrel, Stock Dove x2, Song Thrush, Bullfinch x1 female, Greenfinch x10, Raven x1, Linnet x1, Goldfinch x6, Chaffinch x11, Magpie x30+ & Canada Geese x67.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Two & a half hours getting wet surprisingly produced two patch ticks a pair of Shoveler was my 60th species and a female type Merlin (61) was totally unexpected. Today for a change I parked on the Warrens Hall Car Park straight away has I walked away from the car a pair of Shoveler flew over but never attempted to land. Also seen Bullfinch x 2 male & 8 female, Long Tailed Tit x 2, Blackbird c28+, Kestrel x1, Great Spotted Woodpecker x1, Goldfinch x1, Goosander x 2 female, Little Grebe x2, Chaffinch x8, Song Thrush x1, Goldcrest x2 & Moorhen x 9. Has I was making my way back to the car a small Raptor flew low over the field in front of me and landed at the top of a tree I lifted my Bins expecting to see the Kestrel that had been about earlier I was totally gob smacked to see a Merlin!! I watched it for about a minute when the bird shot out of the Tree and flew over the Dudley Road in the general direction of the Golf course. Both Shoveler & Merlin being additions to the sight list taking it too 94.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Felt like spring today, with all the bird song and snow drops in flower. Not long now for that first migrant |=)|. Two hours on the Patch today produced 34 species with one patch tick, Coal Tit (62) also seen Goldfinch x6, Mistle Thrush x2, Song Thrush x1, Raven x1, Bullfinch x 1 female, Goldcrest x1, Goosander x7, 4 male, Herring Gull x1, L,B,B,G x5, Long Tailed Tit x2, Grey Heron x2, Mute Swan x2 & Little Grebe x5.
Good Birding YAMYAM

It might be a while before any migrants if the log at the Gibraltar is anything to go by. The last entry is for the 11th and they post every day if anything is moving...

11 Feb: Cloudy with overcast skies. Winds fresh to strong north-westerly. Two Siskins were drinking from the pond at the offices of the Botanic Gardens. After several reports in the late autumn of passage birds moving south, this is the first report of the species this year.

Laurie

Four hours on sight today gave me 40 Species 3 being new for me on the patch and 1 new for the sight: - Pheasant (63), Green Woodpecker (64) & Common Gull (65). Pheasant being new for the sight taking it to 95. Other highlights being Long Tailed Tit x12, Greenfinch x16, Goldcrest x2, Goldfinch x 11, Bullfinch x 5 (2 male), Siskin x3, Redpoll x6, Buzzard x1, Treecreeper x1, Coal Tit x1, Redwing x5, Mistle Thrush x2, Kingfisher x1, little Grebe x3 & Goosander x6 (4 male).
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back