• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bulgaria - what, when and where? (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I am off to Bulgaria for a few days next week (for a wedding) and am staying in Sofia. I managed to get hold of a where to watch book but the vast majority of the sites mentioned where on the coast (about 200 miles away) and I will be unable to get over there.

So the question is does anyone know any good site near Sofia, and also are there any species I should look out for.

Thanks for the help that I know will be coming my way, Peter

Hi Peter,

Check out my trip report from western Bulgaria:
http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/bulgaria/bul1/bul-sept-01.htm

There'll still be plenty of Alpine and Pallid Swifts in Sofia (but nearly all the Common Swifts will have left by now)

Otherwise, well worth visiting Mt Vitosha, immediately south of Sofia, easily accessible by public transport (bus, or the very cheap taxis):
High altitude: Nutcracker, Alpine Dunnock, Black Redstart, Water Pipit
Medium alt.: Black Woodpecker, Red-rumped Swallow, etc there.

Look out for passage Honey Buzzards and Levant Sparrowhawks anywhere. Check any Ficedula flycatchers anywhere, you're as likely to get Collared as Pied (but local breeding Semi-collared will already have gone) - check any of the well-wooded public parks in Sofia. Half the spotted woodpeckers in Sofia's parks are Syrian, and half the treecreepers Short-toed.

If you like I can ask my Bulgarian friend for other suggestions, he was at university in Sofia and knows it very well, maybe sites for Sombre Tit, etc. (Dragoman is good for Sombre Tit, about an hour or a bit less out by train - details in my trip report - should be fairly easy in a day from Sofia, get one of the early morning commuter trains out)

Michael

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back