• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bulgaria [Golden Sands] (1 Viewer)

Hubert

I'm planning to spend last week of July and few days of August there. Do you know some good places for birds there. Probably i won't have any mean of transport (only foot).

Bulgaria

Hubert said:
I'm planning to spend last week of July and few days of August there. Do you know some good places for birds there. Probably i won't have any mean of transport (only foot).

Hi,

look for Ropotamo. There should be lots of different plants and animals there.
I do not know this area. My father was there for turtle watching.

Best regards
Dieter

Hubert,

I'm sorry I can't help on this. I do know a number of people who have holidayed in Golden Sands however who've had very bad experiences from local thugs, thieves, police, etc. Be careful out there! There's a fairly well established general boycott of that resort in my home city!

Hubert said:
The areas around Preslav and Pliska were always good for birding and archaeology,we used to hire a taxi for the day,quiet cheaply.

Hi Hubert,

Recomend Golden Sands Nature Park. forest area of 1320 hectares, located roughly toward northern end of resort and just inland. Superb walks through forest and woodland.(check out Lonely Planet Guide page 253) Harbour ares and walks at north end of resort also good with many birds (not sure July/August we were there last May) Lots of wonderful easy walks.

Also regular bus service to Balchick, visit the Royal Palace grounds and woodlands, again excellent for many species in May but probably quieter in July but still a worthy and interesting family day out.

We hired a car and explored all sorts of remote places, found locals warm and friendly and never ever felt unwelcome or intimidated (except for the actual driving experience, Bulgarians are wonderful people until you put them behind the wheel of a car then they grow horns!)

Stewart

Regular bus service to

Having just got back from sunny beach, which shouldnt be any different to golden sands, i found bulgaria extremely safe and i never saw a bulgarian acting like a thug in my whole two weeks - a few british, german, scandinavian drunk youths but not locals.

Not trying to discredit earlier report but put some balance on this.

when you get there, ask for durankulak lake, it's not far away
Karta_Durankulak.png

Ropotamo is nice, but there aren't many birds for watching (I know it, because I live 40-50 km north of it and it's familiar for me) and it's too far away from golden sands - I beleive it's 170km or more.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back