• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British List equivalent for other countries? (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

I have downloaded the British list and find it useful as it gives the categories A, B , C etc etc of birds on the list.
I would like to have the same information for other countries eg Bulgaria, Romania etc. as I have the desire to "categorize" some of the sightings from trips to those countries. Who knows, I might obtain an armchair tick or two. Please does anyone know if other countries' lists are available to download anywhere (must have the categories). I dont count some categories in my personal list eg introduced or feral birds.

The Dutch list is here: https://www.dutchavifauna.nl/static/images/page/webprog20220824-131.pdf
There are no categories in the Dutch list as introduced species are not considered to be part of the list.
However, introduced species with established populations are listed separately for those who feel the need to have a Cat C list for the Netherlands.
Thak you so much as well. I appreciate this. It would be nice if all the lists for every country were gathered to one place on the web.

Oh that would be so nice, but we are pretty far from it. Most importantly finding what's on a country's list is sometimes almost impossible without knowledge of the local language. And the lists change, sometimes quite quickly.

I was trying to find an authoritative list for Portugal last year, but the webpages of their rarity committee did not work. There is a WP-wide AERC list, which, for cat. C birds notes which species count in which country - but the last one I know is ... 2015 I think? And since then, one cat. C species has been already culled in Portugal ... And some more are widely recognized as established, but there is no real list to be find.

Even funnier is the situation for Canaries, where there is a local organization holding a list, but the Spanish RC is claiming authority as well and their list is different!

Anyway, the Czech list is Faunistická komise ČSO - it's in Czech, but has Latin and English names. Categories are as expected, you can ask me for any questions, I know always some RC members :)

Polish list is Lista - Komisja Faunistyczna - I don't know if there is an English version, but has at least Latin names. Again, I can talk to an RC member if needed, he may be still angry with me though :)

Thak you so much as well. I appreciate this. It would be nice if all the lists for every country were gathered to one place on the web.

Country lists here. Other listing sites may have similar. In terms of introduced or feral species that is probably a bit of can of worms, with different countries/authorities applying different criteria? But one approach is to accept what each country does for birds that you see in that country.

(I guess you can easily enough apply the category logic to most sightings based on your own birding logic/knowledge? Inasmuch as most species that you will have encountered will happen to be Cat A equivalent)

I would like to have the same information for other countries ...
The list for Sweden, 2020, (based on IOC), incl. categories A, B, C, D & E, in line with the guidelines of AERC (Association of European Rarities Committees). = here. See the first (blue) link: Förteckning över Sveriges fågeltaxa (below the Photo)

The (Swedish) List/s for Västra Palearkis (VP), West/ern Paleractic (WP) = downloadable here

Enjoy!

This is, in general, really hard. I've managed to scare up most of these official lists while building the checklists in Scythebill (which, I suppose, is yet another place to get this sort of information), but many of these are altogether absent or very old. A lot of the information for recent additions seem to show up in journals which aren't available online.

I certainly use Scythebill to generate country lists and rarely have to do any adding or deleting.
I would guess (I don't use Scythebill FYI) that the program outputs a list of birds for a region, but doesn't provide information on the category designations like the OP wanted?

The Belgian list is at BRBC - Belgian Rarity Bird Committee

For Cat A-B, go to "Data", then "Checklist" (direct access: Belgian checklist)
For Cat C, go to "Data", then "C Category" (direct access: Belgian checklist - C category)

(I'm afraid these lists cannot be downloaded as a separate .pdf or .xls file. Beware that, in the A-B list, the links associated to rare species, which direct you to a list of records of each species, will work only if you access the list through the main page of the website. The main list currently pretends to be "Updated on January 20th, 2020", but is actually much more up-to-date than this. It includes new species recorded in 2021, and accepted in early 2022.)

The Dutch list is here: https://www.dutchavifauna.nl/static/images/page/webprog20220824-131.pdf
There are no categories in the Dutch list as introduced species are not considered to be part of the list.
However, introduced species with established populations are listed separately for those who feel the need to have a Cat C list for the Netherlands.

Like the Dutch, we do not consider exotic species to be part of the (main) list. Unlike the Dutch, however, we do use standard AERC categories. (Hence we place some of these exotic species in a Cat C list, which we keep separate of the main list. Belgian listers/twitchers do not include these species in their Belgian totals, although those engaged in WP listing may end up counting them on their WP list. Note that the criteria used for accession to Cat C on the Belgian list are quite clearly much more restrictive than those used for inclusion as an "established" taxon on the Dutch list, which are obviously pretty loose.)

Last edited:
Note that the criteria used for accession to Cat C on the Belgian list are quite clearly much more restrictive than those used for inclusion as an "established" taxon on the Dutch list, which are obviously pretty loose.)
I expect Arnoud to follow the broadest possible definition of Cat C, but all of them have (or in case of the culled House Crow: had) self-sustaining populations, so I actually agree – not something I say everyday, haha!
Two of them would be "C5" when using the UK categories: the Chilean Flamingos from the Zwillbrocker Venn winter in Zeeland; Sacred Ibises from western France have occurred in the Netherlands.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back