• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British Columbia (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
What is the best "where to find birds in British Columbia"? is there even one, and where does one find it? I expect to go to Vancouver in June, but would like to go to the Rockies as well.

thanks
Niels

I went to Vancouver last June. You can PM me if this information isn't sufficient enough...

Definitely go to Victoria, on Van. Island, for Skylark--they're quite easy in June.
If you're interested in pelagics, good luck, but the best we could find (Note this was a family vacation, not a birding trip) We actually took a whale watching boat off of the west coast of Van. Island, Tofino, I think.

If you have time, I believe they're called the Charlotte Islands or something, which are a long ways from Vancouver, but hold a wealth of nesting seabirds.

Manning Provincial Park is excellent for Boreal species, and the Vasuex Lake area is excellent for birds impossible to find in other parts of Canada. It is very arid, and has such cool species as White-headed Woodpecker, etc.

I don't have that book; I'd guess it probably includes the greater Vancouver area, to Manning P.P., anyway,a nd possibly the Vaseux Lake area.

The "Birder's Guide to Canada (I don't know if ABA sells it or not) Was an excellent reference for me. :)

lower mainland

Hi,

Here is the table of contents of the book so that should give you
an idea where it covers,

1.Vancouver Proper

2.North and West Vancouver,
-Maplewood Con. Area
-Lighthouse Marine Park
-Ambleside Park
-Mount Seymour Prov. Park
-Cypress Provincial Park

3.Fraser Delta,
-Reifel Bird Sanctuary
-Roberts Bank/Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal
-Point Roberts,Washington
-Boundary Bay Park
-Boundary Bay-64 street to 112th street
-Serpentine Fen
-Blackie Spit/Whiterock
-Iona and Sea Islands
-Lulu Island-Terra Nova
-Burns Bog

4.Burnaby,
-Burnaby Lake Park
-Deer Lake Park
-Burnaby Mountain Con. Area
-Burnaby Fraser For. Park
-Barnet Marine Park

5.Fraser Valley,
-Minnekhada Reg.Park and Pitt-Addington Marsh
-Pitt Wildlife Mag. Area and vicinity
-Colony Farm Reg. Park
-Campbell Valley Reg. Park
-Golden Ears Prov. Park

birding in b.c. website

Hi,

Have you checked out this website,

http://www.birding.bc.ca

A wealth of imformation here, especially check out the links.
It has a newsgroup section which lists all the various birdgroups in
B.C.(by region) If you subscribe to anyone of them you might get a lot more
imformation that I can give you.

Hi Niels,

Check the Nanaimo Bird alert march 02, 2008 for the latest sightings on east central Vancouver Island and use the links for more information.

Cheers
Neil Robins
nanaimo
British Columbia
Canada

I don't have that book; I'd guess it probably includes the greater Vancouver area, to Manning P.P., anyway,a nd possibly the Vaseux Lake area.

The "Birder's Guide to Canada (I don't know if ABA sells it or not) Was an excellent reference for me. :)

Thanks to everyone for the answers, and my appology for not answering before. The birder's guide, is that the same as this one http://www.amazon.com/Bird-Finding-...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204683937&sr=1-4 , or a different book? I dont seem to find one with the exact title.

Thanks
Niels

Niels,
If you're planning to visit the Rockies, I have some info for sites around Jasper and others near Banff if they'd be of intreest.

Thanks a million to everybody! I ordered the Birder's Guide to BC from Amazon, acting on advice from the publisher that they had it in stock and that Amazon normally would be able to get it from them in a couple of weeks.

Dave, my plans so far are pretty sketchy, I don't know if I will be in compagny with a non-birder or not. I would love to get into the mountains, even if I don't at this point know if that is actually going to happen. I expect to have more than a week starting from Vancouver but taking in some miles to explore. Therefore, I would like to see some of your info, if it is not too much work.

thanks
Niels

Niels,
For starters, check out this link from the Calgary Field Naturalists Society and see the section on the foothills and the section on Banff.

Some good sites for White-tailed Ptarmigan include Ptarmigan Cirque near Highwood Pass in Kananaskis, and the summit of "The Whistlers" in Jasper National Park (take the gondola up!), and along the upper section of the Wilcox Trail (entrance is just below the Columbia Icefields Visitor area).

When I get back to Trinidad next week I'll get you the name of a little bird finding guide to Jasper.

Also, if you have any target birds for this area let me know.

Thanks everyone. I have purchased the Where to find birds for BC, so I hope that when it arrives I should be able to get a better idea about the geography and what may be possible in the time we are there.

I should come back with some more specific questions soon, as the guide should be available for pickup tomorrow.

Cheers
Niels

Niels,
Attached is a scan of the Birding Guide to Jasper Park that I mentioned. The image title is the publisher. I picked it up at the Park Visitor center in Jasper.

Attachments

• Jasper birding printed by Parks and People.pdf
    120.9 KB · Views: 144
I went to Vancouver last June. You can PM me if this information isn't sufficient enough...

Definitely go to Victoria, on Van. Island, for Skylark--they're quite easy in June.
If you're interested in pelagics, good luck, but the best we could find (Note this was a family vacation, not a birding trip) We actually took a whale watching boat off of the west coast of Van. Island, Tofino, I think.

If you have time, I believe they're called the Charlotte Islands or something, which are a long ways from Vancouver, but hold a wealth of nesting seabirds.

Manning Provincial Park is excellent for Boreal species, and the Vasuex Lake area is excellent for birds impossible to find in other parts of Canada. It is very arid, and has such cool species as White-headed Woodpecker, etc.

It's the Queen Charlotte Islands. It's a fairly isolated archipelago west of Prince Rupert. Some of the best birding in the world!
Cheers,
Ian

Hi all,
some more reading later, I have a couple of more questions for everybody. As a background, I have the guide to BC by Keith Taylor. The back cover shows that it covers Vancouver island, and so does a few internet sites, but no such luck (probably the chaptor two that is conspicously missing in the book).

So What would I see in Vancouver Island that I cannot easily see on the mainland? how easy and how expensive is it to get to VI from the city of Vancouver?

I have looked at some of the descriptions, and with the birds I have already seen elsewhere, I should be able to find something new along the coast N of the city (some auks), and in the Okanagan Valley (Lewis' woodpecker, Williamson's sapsucker, etc.) I might try something else for Rosy-Finch, but it looked like a near impossible task. Any update on those two areas compared to the guide?

It looked like the Queen Charlotte islands would be better for some of the seabirds, but they seems to be just too far off from where I have to be with my limited time.

Are there any well known sites for owls in the southern end that I should go to (Spotted owl, N Saw-whet, etc)?

It does look like some of the really high country to the east of Okenagan will be too far on this trip, unfortunately.

thanks
Niels

thanks
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back