• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British Columbia Robin Question (1 Viewer)

Bc_birds

Hi all I was wondering if anyone knows much about B.C. robins? I have a robin that’s been hanging out daily in my yard eating bird feed and wind fallen apples. It is very chubby I think it might be pregnant? I didn’t think they laid eggs this time of year? And today when I was out it was under the tree and my dog walked up to it and it just sat there let him come right up it eventually flew a few feet away then sat there again letting the dog come up I eventually put my dog inside because I didn’t want him stressing out the bird I don’t know if this is normal? Usually when I go out with my dog the birds fly away but I wonder is it getting ready to lay eggs? I also wonder would it’s nest be close by if it’s at my tree everyday?
Any info is appreciated!

By your description, it sounds like the bird is sick; the "chubby" appearance is probably caused by fluffed up plumage, which is typical of birds that are feeling cold or sick.

By your description, it sounds like the bird is sick; the "chubby" appearance is probably caused by fluffed up plumage, which is typical of birds that are feeling cold or sick.

Oh no!! Really? Is there anything I can do to help it? I’ll post a photo of the bird. Could it just be the cold? It’s been very cold here the last few days especially today that’s maybe why it wasn’t moving much and letting the dog come up to it

Attachments

• 7ECCA69D-C77C-45B6-9F57-E18D74514F7E.jpg
    7ECCA69D-C77C-45B6-9F57-E18D74514F7E.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
First off, Welcome to Birdform BC.

Next, this is not uncommon when it is very cold for the birds. If you can make sure there is some food on the ground for it. Cut up apples, birdseed etc that will help him sustain the cold weather.

Please keep us updated if you don't mind.

First off, Welcome to Birdform BC.

Next, this is not uncommon when it is very cold for the birds. If you can make sure there is some food on the ground for it. Cut up apples, birdseed etc that will help him sustain the cold weather.

Please keep us updated if you don't mind.

Yes I’ve left all the wind fallen apples for the birds as well as bird feeder is full for them! Hopefully they will do alright in this cold!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back