• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British Columbia - does Anna's hummingbird occur? (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I was in a garden the other day (late may 2008) in Vancouver, where several hummingbirds frequented the feeder. One had a green upperside, white tip to tail, rose-colored gorget, and once I saw a flash of the same color from the crown. This sounds most like Anna's according to the old Natl Geographic field guide, but Anna's seems to be a far fetched possibility per range. Has the range changed?

Niels

Hi Niels,

No first-hand experience, but my most recent guide (fifth edition National Geographic -- 2006) shows their permanent range extending to the city of Vancouver and about the southern third of Vancouver Island. This appears to be the northern limit of their regular range -- though a dashed line, indicating irregular incursions, extends several hundred miles further north along the coast. My big Sibley's shows a continuous string of "green dot" accidental records extending all the way up into Alaska.

So it looks to me as though Anna's could be expected in the area.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Thanks Jim,
My copy of the Natl Geographic is 2nd ed (I think). I did try to look online at the Ebird distribution, which showed a smattering of observations, but with a low in the current time of year (late may to early june).

thanks
Niels

Hi Niels,

The Anna's Hummingbird is up as far as Qualicum Beach if not further up the Vancouver Island.
I live in Parksville and we have them in the winter time. At this time of the year we have Rufous Hummingbirds coming to our feeders.
Check the Nanaimo bird alerts and you will find the Anna's mentioned a lot in the winter.
Cheers
Neil Robins
Parksville
British Columbia
Canada

Absolutely. I live a mere two hours away in year-round Anna's habitat, and can say without question that the Anna's Hummingbird is a permanent resident in the lower mainland of British Columbia. Your initial description is spot on (male, incidentally).

For an account of overwintering Anna's in the Puget Sound area, see here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=110377

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back