• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Breydon Water 27.06.03 (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Breydon Water 28.06.03
70% thin cloud coverage, little to no wind.

Wandered along the most local part of my local area - Breydon Water early this afternoon.map here - Tide just turned to ebb as I got there. About 2 hours.

Birdwise not a lot about ; 1 or 2 Whimbrel, Curlew, Ringed Plover, Grey Heron and several of the usual Oystercatcher & Shelduck plus a couple of flocks of Starling . A Little Egret made a close flypast which was pretty good though. A group of about 25 cormorant sat out on a dry area of the mud, and there were quite a lot of gulls further away but the heat haze combined with the thin mist off the marshes made using the scope quite a waste of time, so couldn't id them.

Was sort of hoping the nearby reported Lesser Grey Shrike would decide the twitchers along the A47 had seen enough and come by here .... but no great surprise when it didn't !
Went as far as the Tern beds - about a mile or so and came back again. The Common Tern were noisily going about their business. There's always something going on around them; chasing each other, plunging into the water etc

Most interesting area was behind the path over on the old railway lines and waste ground. Next to the mainline there are some old abandoned tracks which have been left to go wild and overgrown with some unkempt bushes beyond that. In one area was a group of about 10 Magpie, and it was interesting to watch the way the sun shines off the plumage so giving off a sort of bluish / greenish shine. I also had a very obliging Sedge Warbler land on top a post near me. In amongst the tracks and waste ground there's several flowers coming out; big yellow flowers on Evening Primrose and some Rosebay Willowherb which I think is a particularly attractive wildflower. Sea Lavender along the edge of the mudflats being out now gives a nice light-bluish tinge to the low greenery. Bindweeds, mallow, vetch etc .... Several others which I wont go into as I think they're all pretty common.

Then went to Asda, least said about that the better.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back