• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brazil praia do forte (1 Viewer)

dez

Hi everyone my first post so be gentle.Me and the wife are going to Praia do Forte about 50 kms north of Salvador in oct this year.Been searching the net last few days but not come up with anything worthwhile, there is a few places that sound quite interesting the Sapiranga forest reserve and the rio timeantube flows through the town and into the sea. If anyone has any info i would be very grateful. I think it will be a case of just wandering around or getting a taxi and finding our own birds. Also any body recommend a good field guide, just bought the birds of southern south america by collins but dosn't cover the area where we are going much. thank's dez

Hi Dez I see this is your first post so may I welcome you to Bird Forum from all the Staff and Moderators

You're going to have a wonderful holiday by the sounds of it and I'll look forward to reading your reports when you get back

I'll move your post, however, to the Information Wanted forum where I'm sure you'll get lots of advice

D

Hi Dez, welcome to Birdforum.

Here is a link to a fairly comprehensive trip report covering NE Brazil.

http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/brazil/brazil-19/NE-Brazil-05.htm

I don't care for the Birds of Southern South America guide personally, and as you say it doesn't really cover the area you'll be visiting. If you do a forum search for field guides to Brazil, you should come across the informative postings of Rasmus Boegh on the matter - you'll also soon see why most birders consider the situation with field guides to Brazil a bit of a mess!

Hope this helps a little, have a great trip! And please let us all know how you got on.

Brad

sclateria said:
Hi Dez, welcome to Birdforum.

Here is a link to a fairly comprehensive trip report covering NE Brazil.

http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/brazil/brazil-19/NE-Brazil-05.htm

I don't care for the Birds of Southern South America guide personally, and as you say it doesn't really cover the area you'll be visiting. If you do a forum search for field guides to Brazil, you should come across the informative postings of Rasmus Boegh on the matter - you'll also soon see why most birders consider the situation with field guides to Brazil a bit of a mess!

Hope this helps a little, have a great trip! And please let us all know how you got on.

Brad

Thank's for the link some good info there. Will do a report when i get back, october seem's along way off, thank's again dez

Unless you read Portuguese this is probably the best:

http://www.nhbs.com/title.php?tefno=120173

I'm sure others will disagree. It's not nearly as nice as other SA country guides, but it served me surprisingly well on a Serra dos Tucanos trip.

Searching at NHBS or Subbuteo willl give u a better idea of what's available.

Just a tip. I'm off to Praia do Forte in July and it can be done with Thomas Cook in the UK at the moment for £500-600 each for 2 weeks. I don't reckon you could flights to Brazil for that, so it's worth a look.

dez said:
Hi everyone my first post so be gentle.Me and the wife are going to Praia do Forte about 50 kms north of Salvador in oct this year.Been searching the net last few days but not come up with anything worthwhile, there is a few places that sound quite interesting the Sapiranga forest reserve and the rio timeantube flows through the town and into the sea. If anyone has any info i would be very grateful. I think it will be a case of just wandering around or getting a taxi and finding our own birds. Also any body recommend a good field guide, just bought the birds of southern south america by collins but dosn't cover the area where we are going much. thank's dez

I am also going to Praia do Forte - in March , plus we are going to take the bus to Chapada Diamantina (Lencois) from Salvador for a week's walking/birding. I can find very little info re birds in PdF. Re bird books, I have useful Collins field guide to birds of South America (non-passerines) + All the birds of Brazil by Souza (essential field guide, but poor illustrations,351 pages) + excellent Birds of South America Vols 1 +2 (Ridgely & Tudor), but only for reference purposes. Will cobtact you on return. (Phil Dunk)

hi mike,

ive just returned from Praia do Forte and had a great time doing some birding but also some excellent walking on the beach and near Lencois. I was pleasantly surprised to see a reasonable selection of birds in Praia including Chalk-browed mocking-bird, Guira Cuckoo, Red-cowled Cardinal, Hummers,swallows, plus a large group of Common terns, some semipalmated sandplovers, Collared Plover, Spotted Sandpiper (Prob all on migration). But Sapiranga was disappointing with 2 visits in early morning and late afternoon , seeing just blue-crowned trogon and flame-crested tanager as only birds of note. I am at work now so must go ! Reply if you want more info .

Phil Dunk

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back