• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brazil information (1 Viewer)

Thanks to everyone for the additional info. I shall try to get to Campos do Jordao for a day or two, although July seems to be appreciably more expensive than other months there - I think there's a big festival there for most of the month. The map site looks interesting, although I've no idea how to use it (even after translating the pages).

Also, the new version of Souza is apparently available now. I'm not expecting anything great but it should be useful. Just in the nick of time as well.

Andrew Whitehouse said:
I'm also wondering if anybody would recommend Parati as a base for the lowland forest rather than Ubatuba. Parati sounds like a pleasant and easy place to stay and Arthur's site mentions some good birding in the fairly near vicinity. Anyone know anything more?

Parati is a delightful little historic town at the bottom of Ilha Grande bay. It seems to be always very crowded during weekends. There are no beachs in town, to go to a beach you either drive along the coastal hwy or take a boat to one of the islands. Many years ago when I spent about 10 days in Parati I birded [and my family went to the beach] at Picinguaba, which is a bit further south towards Ubatuba than the "Patrimônio" site discussed by Jeremy Minns in Grosset's site. Thus if you solved the transportation problem you could do some good birding from Parati. The advantage of Ubatuba is that several sites are regularly visited by independent birders and birding tours and thus fresh information is available. The site where the Calyptura Kinglet was spotted earlier this year, for example, will be quite far from Parati and so will be most of the other Ubatuba sites. On the other hand just those few sites closer to Parati could keep you busy for several days. You would also be exploring an area that is much less often visited by birders. In November of 2005 Parati was also the site for the 2nd record for Brazil of Terek Sandpiper (Xenus cinereus), spotted in a mudflat near the town's small port area.

Dalcio

Andrew Whitehouse said:
Campos do Jordao sounds interesting, although I'm a bit worried it might be either fully booked up or expensive, as from what I've read July is the peak season there. Will look into this a bit more. Apart from the section on Arthur's site, there actually doesn't seem to be much information on birding there.

I'm also wondering if anybody would recommend Parati as a base for the lowland forest rather than Ubatuba. Parati sounds like a pleasant and easy place to stay and Arthur's site mentions some good birding in the fairly near vicinity. Anyone know anything more?

It seems Brad & Dalcio have answered most, but just a few additional notes:

Parati is a nice town, although perhaps a bit touristy. As for birding, however, I'm not aware of any good localities near the town, although there's one or two trails that run through some secondary forest/shrub near town that perhaps could reveal something interesting (the most interesting thing I've had when walking these trails, mostly to get to nearby beaches, is Brazilian Tanager. It's nice, but easy many other places). There are far less busses going through Parati than through e.g. Ubatuba (which also is closer to the main localities), but the busses that run up and down the coast via Parati may still be able to get you somewhat near one of the birding localities (but the localities I know in this region would still require perhaps 15-20 km. walk from the nearest place where a bus can let you off and for this reason perhaps can perhaps not be recommended without access to a car).

Horto Florestal near Campos do Jordão is very easy. There are hourly busses that do the short tour to the entrance of the park (beware that this park is very popular among locals, especially on Sundays. You may want to avoid Sundays, esp. if during a local holiday, as it may be rather crowded then). The bus to the park run along the main road in Campos do Jordão, so you don't even have to walk to the bustation for that (just ask one of the locals which side of the road you should stand on - to get the bus in the right direction). There are a few trails in the park and they all seem slightly different, so doing all may be a good idea. The Araucaria Tit-Spinetail is common throughout the park (I've even had one taking a sh... on my forehead!), but a bit of a pain to watch as they usually stay in the top of the distinctive Araucarias. The trails going to the left shortly after you enter the park are, in my experiance at least, the ones that are best for Hellmayr's Pipit and nightbirds (but there's also a road before entering the park that's good for nightbirds - mentioned on Arthur Grosset's page). The trail towards the waterfall is, in my experiance, the best for Black-capped Piprites & Cotingas (Swallow-tailed Cotinga & Red-ruffed Fruitcrow; both probably seasonal and unlikely to be seen during Austral fall/winter). The Warbling-finch commonly seen in flocks is the nominate race of the Red-rumped. It often seem to cause confusion (indeed, when I saw it the first time a number of years ago, it confused me too) as it looks so utterly different than the widespread southern race cabanisi which is the one shown in most books. White-bellied Warblers & Sharp-tailed Streacreepers seem to hang out at most smaller streams throughout the park (but latter is surprisingly easy in several localities in SE Brazil - at least for anyone familiar with the MUCH harder Andean populations). Also, if visiting during the South Hemisphere winter (= North Hemisphere Summer) do bring a jacket (if I'm not mistaken the coldest temperature ever measured in Brazil was in Campos do Jordão). There are other localities near Campos do Jordão that have some nice birding (e.g. the road to Pedra do Baú mentioned on Arthur Grosset's site), but I'm not really sure they can be done by public transportation (perhaps it is possible, I've just never tried). Also, if doing both Campos do Jordão and Itatiaia it might be worth mentioning that these two are easily visited via Resende. As far as I know there is no good birding near Resende, but it's a transport-hub with bus-connections to both Campos do Jordão and Itatiaia (a few a day to Campos do Jordão, one every hour or so to Itatiaia). So, you don't have to waste time going all the way back to Rio or São Paulo to connect Campos do Jordão & Itatitia.

By the way: As said - don't even think about safety on the busstations. City busstations are usually filled with people and guards, so they're probably safer (at least when discounting pickpockets) than most other places where tourists happily walk around in Brazil. Brazil has a bad reputation and there certainly are many places where the risk of being a victim of crime is high, but if using common sense and staying away from such "bad" locations (most of which are wellknown and easily avoided by reading safety advice in handbooks and/or asking locals) you're likely to stay clear of trouble.

Last edited:
arthurgrosset said:
Although it will be published too late for Andrew's trip, there is due to be a new field guide published before the end of this year. I don't think it was mentioned by Rasmus in his previous postings on field guides.
It is by Rolf Grantsau and it says it is in Portuguese and English
For more information (in Portuguese) see http://www.brazilimagebank.com/ptbr/content/view/2/1/
From the sample pages it is difficult to see what the layout scheme is. The falcon page is more standard and useful looking but the other pages of illustrations don't even seem to have a key.
Can anyone give more information on this forthcoming publication?

I've been told that a text (as the one for the Falcons) are included for all species, but don't know if this is true. Anyway, it certainly seems to be a step up, but it also seems to be some way from a Hilty or Ridgely standard guide.

Second Edition Souza and a book by Tomas Sigrist Aves do Brasil, the latter one including a CD with voices, were both featured in an E-mail I just received from NHBS Environment Bookstore nhbs.co.uk.

Niels

Gruff Dodd said:

I've just taken delivery of this. I've never actually seen a copy of the original edition so can't comment on whether it's an improvement or not. On the NHBS site it was suggested that the illustrations have been updated, although they don't mention this in the book. The text and maps have been updated though and for voice descriptions other books are generally quoted (e.g. HBW, Sick, Ridgeley and Tudor). The illustrations are, well, not very good really with birds strangely shaped and looking a bit like they've been done with felt tip pens. The Sanderling illustration (a species I can comment on a little more authoritatively than most of the others) looks unlike any that I've ever seen. Still, I'm sure it'll be useful for the easier species and it's more comprehensive than any other book I've got. A good thing I have the Serra dos Tucanos guide, which has substantially better illustrations and covers most of what I'm likely to encounter.

Thanks to Rasmus for the additional information. It's possible I won't get to Parati, as I'm not sure that I'm going to have enough time and don't want to rush about too much. Good to know that it's fairly easy to get from Itatiaia to Campos do Jordao by bus, as this is what I plan to do. I've emailed places to stay in both areas but haven't had replies yet. Hopefully they'll still be expecting me. I'll be packing a fleece for the mountains.

sclateria said:
A friend of mine who has visited the Arajuba (?) park for the manakin tells me it really is that straightforward. Be sure to talk to the landowners and let them know about the importance of these birds, though!

best of luck,

Brad

Thanks Brad. I don't know about talking to the landowners much though. It was a real problem the last birding trip to Brazil so borrowed some teach yourself Portuguese cds from the library and spent a couple of half hearted weeks trying unsuccessfully to learn a few phrases. Decided I will hold up flashcards to ask key questions.

Ian

Fair enough... at least try to show to the people at the waterpark (ie. guards or management) that you are birders and are very interested in the manakin. The local name of the manakin is "soldadinho" (the little soldier) - maybe show them the bird in your field guide. Since the species has such a restricted range, it's important to demonstrate to them the value of conserving this bird and its habitat. I imagine they are already used to birders by now.

Perhaps another BF member has visited the site and could shed further light on the question of access?

best of luck,

Brad

timills said:
Thanks Brad. I don't know about talking to the landowners much though. It was a real problem the last birding trip to Brazil so borrowed some teach yourself Portuguese cds from the library and spent a couple of half hearted weeks trying unsuccessfully to learn a few phrases. Decided I will hold up flashcards to ask key questions.

Ian

Quick update from Brazil. I'm currently staying at the excellent REGUA reserve and have had ten very good days at Serra dos Tucanos. Have currently seen around 270 species including lots of endemics. Some goodies too like Itatiaia Thistletail, Grey-winged Cotinga, Plovercrest and Restinga Antwren. Starting to get the hang of tropical birding too. Had a good morning this morning, with highlights being White-bibbed Antbird and Greyish Mourner almost at touching distance. A nice supporting cast of Blond-crested Woodpecker, Rufous-capped Motmot, White-flanked Antwren, Long-billed Wren, Rufescent Tiger Heron and Aplomado Falcon.

Wonderful report Andrew ! , sooo many species to see there ,keep us posted and good luck. Hopefully you are taking photos.

I am planning on going to the Sao Paulo area in December and I have the new improved 2006 Souza guide. I must say the plates are generally primative-looking at best but this guide looks pretty handy . I will have to find the Serra dos Tucanos guide based on what I have read in this thread. Thanks Rasmus and everyone else for the valuable info on Brazil birding here.

Andrew Whitehouse said:
Quick update from Brazil. I'm currently staying at the excellent REGUA reserve and have had ten very good days at Serra dos Tucanos. Have currently seen around 270 species including lots of endemics. Some goodies too like Itatiaia Thistletail, Grey-winged Cotinga, Plovercrest and Restinga Antwren. Starting to get the hang of tropical birding too. Had a good morning this morning, with highlights being White-bibbed Antbird and Greyish Mourner almost at touching distance. A nice supporting cast of Blond-crested Woodpecker, Rufous-capped Motmot, White-flanked Antwren, Long-billed Wren, Rufescent Tiger Heron and Aplomado Falcon.

Yep sounds like you're enjoying yourself have lots of B :) on me while you're out there and I look forward to reading a full report when you get back.

Make sure you're back in time for the Birdfair though. ;)

Follow that bird!
Jaff

Now back from my hols having had a brilliant time. Managed 318 species in the end, all within Rio de Janeiro State (will have to get to other states on another trip!). Thanks to everyone for all the help. I'll soon start doing a trip report.

318! Wow, that's pretty impressive. 100ish species a week, 15ish (new ones) a day, yep, sounds like a good few weeks! Hope you've got a few photos...

Glad you had a good time and got back in one piece. In time for the next Scottish bash as well - I think your presence is requested.... :) Look forward to the report.

turkish van said:
318! Wow, that's pretty impressive. 100ish species a week, 15ish (new ones) a day, yep, sounds like a good few weeks! Hope you've got a few photos...

Glad you had a good time and got back in one piece. In time for the next Scottish bash as well - I think your presence is requested.... :) Look forward to the report.

Hi Laura,

Actually managed over a hundred new birds in the first two days, what with it being my first trip to the Neotropics. Just a taster, here are the best pictures I took. Was a bit too busy looking at birds to take lots of pictures!

American Purple Gallinule
Female/immature Masked Duck
Sombre Hummingbird
Tropical Kingbird
Female White-headed Marsh Tyrant

All except the Sombre Hummingbird were taken around the wetlands at REGUA. The hummer was in the garden at Serra dos Tucanos.

Thanks for requesting my presence at the next Scottish bash by the way. It might be that your presence is also requested ;)

Attachments

• AmericanPurpleGallinuleJuly2006a.jpg
    AmericanPurpleGallinuleJuly2006a.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 124
  • MaskedDuckJuly2006c.jpg
    MaskedDuckJuly2006c.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 104
  • SombreHummingbirdJuly2006a.jpg
    SombreHummingbirdJuly2006a.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 121
  • TropicalKingbirdJuly2006b.jpg
    TropicalKingbirdJuly2006b.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 131
  • WhiteheadedMarshTyrantJuly2006b.jpg
    WhiteheadedMarshTyrantJuly2006b.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 105
1. Pah, saw one of those at the Botanics last week... (well, similar...)
2. Alright, kinda cute I guess...
3. In the garden eh? Hmm...
4. Yep, that one's a bit of a looker I suppose....
5. Quirky!

Ok, I am jealous. A bit. Enjoy it :))

I'll be at the bash if you can all drag yourselves down this way a bit further.... ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back