• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brambling (1 Viewer)

Dave Smith

United Kingdom
I recently went on a visit to Pulborough Brooks nature reserve and was rather taken with the bird protector devices they had in use in front of the centre. They are rather similar to an inverted supermarket basket but of twice the size and allow only small birds in. I chose the size that would let blackbirds and thrushes in. I am using sunflower hearts under it and have found that it lasts 2 or 3 times as long (much to the frustration of the collared doves and woodpigeon) but has attracted more chaffinches. It has been very popular with thrushes, blackbirds, robin, goldfinches and greenfinches as well. With the extra chaffinches came a male brambling which I am naturally delighted with. It has visited for three days now. What a result :D

One thing that puzzles me is that the dunnocks that frequent my garden avoid it which is a shame as they were one of my intended benificiaries. They do like sunflower hearts when it is sprinkled on the ground.

Dave

Attachments

• brambling_3999s.jpg
    brambling_3999s.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 176
Dave Smith said:
I recently went on a visit to Pulborough Brooks nature reserve and was rather taken with the bird protector devices they had in use in front of the centre. They are rather similar to an inverted supermarket basket but of twice the size and allow only small birds in. I chose the size that would let blackbirds and thrushes in. I am using sunflower hearts under it and have found that it lasts 2 or 3 times as long (much to the frustration of the collared doves and woodpigeon) but has attracted more chaffinches. It has been very popular with thrushes, blackbirds, robin, goldfinches and greenfinches as well. With the extra chaffinches came a male brambling which I am naturally delighted with. It has visited for three days now. What a result :D

One thing that puzzles me is that the dunnocks that frequent my garden avoid it which is a shame as they were one of my intended benificiaries. They do like sunflower hearts when it is sprinkled on the ground.

Dave

I brought the same from Pulborough myself a few months back. Unfortunately it does not keep the squirrells out, but what does? It has been a real bonus this winter, I have even felt a bit sorry for the pigeons and doves!

paulwfromtheden said:
I brought the same from Pulborough myself a few months back. Unfortunately it does not keep the squirrells out, but what does? It has been a real bonus this winter, I have even felt a bit sorry for the pigeons and doves!

Luckily I don't have any squirrels. I also feel a bit sorry for the pigeons & doves but will get some of the cheaper pigeon food for them.

Since posting this morning a couple of dunnocks have found the food |:d|

Dave

Hi Dave,

I too have got a cage round my ground feeder although not from Pulborough. We have up to 4 dunnocks at the moment and although they usually keep to the edge of the area, they are getting braver right now and even go right into the cage for a feed. I wouldn't worry too much about the pigeons and doves as they will stick their heads through the cage for a feed. We even have pheasants do the same. Congratulations with your male brambling too! We had our first ever male visit yesterday too. We've had a female a while ago for a day or two but this was the very first male and he looked just like your photo. I couldn't get one as he was too quick for me.

Well done again,

:hi:

Cathy H said:
Hi Dave,

I too have got a cage round my ground feeder although not from Pulborough. We have up to 4 dunnocks at the moment and although they usually keep to the edge of the area, they are getting braver right now and even go right into the cage for a feed. I wouldn't worry too much about the pigeons and doves as they will stick their heads through the cage for a feed. We even have pheasants do the same. Congratulations with your male brambling too! We had our first ever male visit yesterday too. We've had a female a while ago for a day or two but this was the very first male and he looked just like your photo. I couldn't get one as he was too quick for me.

Well done again,

:hi:
Hi Cathy
I have no worries about the pigeons or doves as I keep the food in the centre out of reach. Before using the cage they would demolish the lot in a couple of hours so none left for the rest. It now lasts about three days. They still get a feed under the hanging feeders and I will be providing cheaper food for them.

Congratulations on your bramblings. It just never occured to me that a brambling would turn up in a garden, or at least not my garden.

Dave

paulwfromtheden said:

Have you tried sprinkling a little HOT chilli powder with your bird food. It has put a stop to the squirrel in my garden consuming expensive bird seed in a feeder. Might even stop other unwanted rodents getting to food at ground level from the ground cage?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back