• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Borneo Birding Trip (1 Viewer)

We have just returned from a very successful birding/wildlife trip to Borneo, arranged by Borneo Eco tours. I can highly recommend this company to arrange a bespoke trip. We arranged a private tour to Sepilok, the Kinabatagan river, staying at Sukau Rainforest lodge, and the Danum valley, staying at the world famous Borneo Rainforest Lodge. The trip was not intended to rack up a extensive list, but hopefully target selective species such as Pitta's and Bornean Bristlehead. We managed to see 5 species of Pitta, Black headed at Sepilok & Sukua, Hooded at Sukua, Blue banded, Bornean Banded & Blue Headed and Bornean Bristlehead all in 1 day at Danum valley! Any trip to Borneo would not be complete without visiting the Dunam valley, and the Borneo Rainforest lodge(BRL) is an outstanding place to stay. If arranging a trip to BRL, I recommend asking for Azmil Pillantong as your birding guide. He is a resident guide at BRL, his knowledge & birding skills were excellent. He can be contacted by the following email addresses:
[email protected] or [email protected]

We managed to see Bornean Bristlehead on 2 consecutive days at BRL, once while standing on a bridge over the Danum river and from the canopy walkway.
The canopy walkway at the Rainforest Discovery centre at Sepilok was once a regular site for Bristleheads, but they are apparently rarely seen here now. I would still highly recommend visiting the RDC, as we had a great couple of day's birding here, even managing to see Great Slaty Woodpecker from the canopy walkway.

I went in june for few days, same company. My guide's name was Nexter (nick name...). My family went in a regular group tour while I had a private guide for 2 days along the river at the Sukau rainforest lodge. Around 100 species of birds in 9 hours of birding. 3 species of Pitta and 5 species of Hornbill. what an amazing place. I'm planning to go back for at least 2 weeks (this time) in a couple of years.

I had the Bristlehead on the Kinabatangan River a couple years ago, but according to the guide it's rare here.
Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back