• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Booted or Bonelli's? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Williams

Bonjour,

This Eagle was photographed this morning at Lac de Madine in Lorraine, my local patch, and I was there this afternoon (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!)

The finders have id'd it as a Booted Eagle but for my own education, as I have never seen a dark/rufous morph Booted, or Bonelli's, why is it not a juv Bonelli's?

Does the pale upper tail patch conclusively rule out juv Bonelli's or can they show this too sometimes?? From the photos I would say it looks considerably larger than the mobbing Buzzard, but this of course, could just be perspective, and I can't see any 'landing lights' on the back-on photo, possibly just due to the angle? It's really got me intrigued!

http://www.faune-lorraine.org/index.php?m_id=54&backlink=skip&mid=6929

Cheers,

Jonathan

To my eye it looks more Bonelli's than Booted, the contasting dark fingers against the pale hand, with the narrowing tertials into the body (a touch Honey Buzzard-ish?)

cheers

To me this is a booted eagle juv.Pale primaries 1-4,pale upper tail coverts,not seen in Bonelli´s and just the slightest hint of of landing lights.But I have been known to be wrong before!.See page 424 in Forsman.....Eddy.

Immature Bonelli's Eagle IMO. En Lorraine? Fantastique!

Long neck, strong "s" shape of trailing edge with narrow base of wing, large size in comparison to buzzard. Pale orange underwing is common in immature Bonelli's.

Compare to this
http://www.andalucianguides.com/images/uploads/210/bonellis-eagle-juv_4130__large.jpg

Finally, upperparts are fairly similar to booted, but normal for Bonelli's, and we have even the start of the typical white patch on the back...

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back