• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Bird Nest Question (1 Viewer)

BchBum60

United States
A pair of BBs nesting in our birdhouse and had four blue eggs and one white egg. This morning woke up to see nesting material coming out of the enter/exit hole.

I’ve read BBs will do this if they feel another bird has comprised their nest. Assumption is that is the white egg (even though BBs are known on occasion to lay a white egg).

Question is, will the BBs be back or is this a sign of abandonment?

Thanks!

Hi BchBum and a warm welcome to BirdForum ;)

One thing you should keep in mind is that going to or near the nest box can possibly cause the BBs to vacate the next. Try staying away for a day or two and see if they come back. Fingers crossed for you guys and please keep us posted.

Hi BchBum and a warm welcome to BirdForum ;)

One thing you should keep in mind is that going to or near the nest box can possibly cause the BBs to vacate the next. Try staying away for a day or two and see if they come back. Fingers crossed for you guys and please keep us posted.
We had just returned home after being gone for two months, so my hubby checked our bird boxes to see if any activity and saw the eggs. We usually keep our distant and admire from afar. This looked to be the same pair as nested last year and I’m keeping an eye out, but no activity today. :(

Yesterday the BBs built a new nest over the other BB and what I suspect are Wren eggs. Hopeful the new nest will be successful. This is the same pair as last year and the male is stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back