• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackwater (1 Viewer)

phyllosc

OK, so in previous postings I've addmitted to not being the local patch type (see my 'patchwork Gulit'). I'm an itinerant birder and that is that!

However, I do live very close to the Blackwater estuary in Essex and I have to addmit it does make a good birding spot. You may remember last year's Terek Sandpiper, well that was on my 'patch'. And during the winter months it teems with waders, gulls, and wildfowl, including: Euro Golden Plover, Avocet, Black-tailed Godwit, Greenshank, Brent Geese, Smew and Red Throated Merganser. It is also a good spot for Kingfisher and Barn Owl.

There are other birders who watch this area too, although I've rarely seen anyone else around, but that may be down to me not watching the place often enough.

This morning my partner and I got on the mountain bikes and cycled along the river bank east towards Goldhanger. The tide was coming in but the mud flats nearly deviod of waders; just a few Lapwing, Redshank and Oystercatcher. Starlings were flocking together and feeding on the shoreline too. The highlight was 2 Little Egret, an over summering Brent Goose and plenty of Painted Lady.

In the coming weeks I expect the wader numbers will start to increase and I'll be keeping an eye out for the partial albino Blackwit that cause a tempoary flush of adrenalin in the spring.

Dave

Charles

I wasn't really exprecting to see many waders yet. Rather I was expressing a note of contrast from the numbers usually seen throughout the winter & spring.

Wader passage here will start of build up from early July and peaks around early September. I understand the first birds to return are those who didn't breed in the north.

The spot is rather good and besides the estuary there is farm land, flooded gravel pits with reed fringes and areas of bushy scrub. I'll get hold of an aerial photo and post it soon. I've only lived here for 3 years but I guess local birders will have been watching the place for a long time. I know the estuary complex is included in the monthly nationwide wader counts.

Yes, guilt is like gulag and my typing is like goulash!

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back