• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird in Piccadilly triangle pic (1 Viewer)

Heres a picture of a blackbird taken thro a russian scope out of my 4th floor window in Whitworth St. He's in a tree in the Piccadilly triangle. I had blue tits visiting my seed feeder outs ide th ewindow earlier but they seem to have gone now :-( I do see the occasional green finch and thrush here tho too.

Attachments

• p1010034.jpg
    p1010034.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 349
How about a central Manchester list ....

Kestrel used to nest on the chimney at Bloom St electricity substation and you still see the odd one around.
Peregrine have been around the Scottish Widows building in Picadilly.
Mallard usually fly up and down the canal along Canal St.
Blue Tits certainly nest around St Peter's square and Magpies can be seen perched on most roof tops (I work on the 8th floor so a good view down).

Pied Wagtail sometimes can be seen in our car park and a couple of years ago we had a Grey Cockatiel tapping on our window - unfortunately we can't open them for safety reasons so I couldn't resue him.

Many many moons ago when I was a Biology student at Manchester Uni we had a good bird club. Highlights were Waxwings outside Williamson Building, Oxford Rd & Little Ringed Plover breeding in Stretford. Great stuff.

Low points were assisting my mate in his PHD work catching and ringing gulls on loca lrubbish tips. Four of us with hangovers crammed into a mini on the local tips waiting for the gulls to land near enough to catch using a clpa net. The stench was unbelievable.

There are good sites in and around Manchester Roberta Jane. Try going to the Universtiy Natural HistoryMuseum on Oxford Road and looking on their notice board for details of local clubs.

Good luck - on the great football debate I'm neutral. Lived near Cities training ground in Rusholme & married a Liverpudlian. Decided t oplay rugby instead. It saved the family arguments!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back