• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Redstart (1 Viewer)

bluesinlondon

Web researches seem to suggest that Deptford Creek is the best place to see Black Redstarts... Is this true? Any other ideas/tips about where I can find 'em?

Thanks.

London Black Redstart records are generally kept pretty quiet, since they're a nationally rare breeding bird. I honestly don't know what the numbers are like around Deptford, if they're still there, but (with respect), even if I did, I don't think anyone should post any details in public.

Sorry not to be more help.

Also with respect...

Deptford Creek is specifically mentioned as "perhaps the best chance" for seeing Black Redstarts on the London Wildweb site (http://wildweb.london.gov.uk/wildweb/Wonders.do).

The website of The Creekside Education trust, which manages and educates about Deptford Creek on it's website (http://www.creeksidecentre.org.uk/) goes into some detail about the 'national significance' of the site for Black Redstarts...

... so I really didn't think I was being irresponsible for mentioning it.

Still, I suppose an excess of caution is no bad thing when it comes to protecting vulnerable birds.

If you join the LNHS, you get a chance to go on a guided walk to look for these birds (amongst others). Whilst you are not guaranteed a sighting, you presumably get to meet people in the know ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back