• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-browed Albatrosses and probable disease-related chick mortality (1 Viewer)

RafaelMatias

Unknown member
Portugal
Francesco Ventura, José Pedro Granadeiro, Rafael Matias & Paulo Catry 2021. Spatial and temporal aggregation of albatross chick mortality events in the Falklands suggests a role for an unidentified infectious disease. Polar Biology (online first). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00300-020-02797-x

Abstract:
In the context of environmental change, determining the causes underpinning unusual mortality events of vertebrate species is a crucial conservation goal. This is particularly true for polar and sub-polar colonial seabirds, often immunologically naïve to new and emerging diseases. Here, we investigate the patterns of black-browed albatross (Thalassarche melanophris) chick mortality events unrelated to predation recorded between the 2004/05 and 2019/2020 breeding seasons in four colonies across the species range in the Falklands. The prevalence of these mortality events was highly variable across years, causing the death of between 3 and 40% of all chicks in the studied plots. With few exceptions, mortality was patchily distributed. Using clustering methodologies, we identified the spatio-temporal mortality clusters based on the nest locations and chick death date. Using generalised linear models and generalised additive mixed-effects models we found that chicks nearer the first mortality event were predicted to die before those in more distant nests. The probability of death increased with age and was highest for chicks close to nests where a chick had died previously. Our findings, along with the symptoms consistently exhibited by most deceased chicks in the study, strongly suggest the prevalence of a widespread infectious disease, potentially with a common aetiology, both in areas with regular and with very rare human presence. Understanding the causes driving these disease-related mortality events, which seem different from the outbreaks documented in the literature, is a conservation priority for the Falklands black-browed albatross population, which comprises over 70% of the species global population.
Available here or here.

I can’t access the full text on the Researchgate link and it’s £30 on the Springer link.
Unfortunately the publisher has quite strict conditions for public use and the full paper cannot be included in the author's personal pages at least at this stage (it hasn't been formally published yet in the journal): https://www.nature.com/info/additional-terms :(
I can email you a copy for your personal use if you wish, but I'll need your email (PM); this copy should not be shared.

Unfortunately the publisher has quite strict conditions for public use and the full paper cannot be included in the author's personal pages at least at this stage (it hasn't been formally published yet in the journal): https://www.nature.com/info/additional-terms :(
I can email you a copy for your personal use if you wish, but I'll need your email (PM).
I would be interested in reading it thanks. I will pm you my email.

Hi Rafael

Thank you for forwarding your paper on BBA chick mortality.

Given the global significance of the colonies of BBA on the Falklands, this has been a vital piece of research in avian epidemiology. I’m not a statistician so can’t comment on the analytical methodology or modelling but the results were self-explanatory and answered questions as my mind raised them.

It did occur to me that blood testing brooding adults could be a next logical step among others, to rule out congenital/vertical transmission to chicks from asymptomatic adults. You touched on this briefly in the discussion. Of course this would not explain lateral spread and spatial clustering unless the aetiology in that context was as a secondary transmission from chick ‘0’ to otherwise healthy born chicks in proximity.

I hope this reaches a wider audience than the usual scientific readership. Clearly funding would be justified to establish the pathogenic aetiology of predation-unrelated chick mortality in order to consider management options that would ensure longterm population stability for BBA.

Thanks again for the read (and of course for dedicating your time to the research!)

Hi Rafael

Thank you for forwarding your paper on BBA chick mortality.

Given the global significance of the colonies of BBA on the Falklands, this has been a vital piece of research in avian epidemiology. I’m not a statistician so can’t comment on the analytical methodology or modelling but the results were self-explanatory and answered questions as my mind raised them.

It did occur to me that blood testing brooding adults could be a next logical step among others, to rule out congenital/vertical transmission to chicks from asymptomatic adults. You touched on this briefly in the discussion. Of course this would not explain lateral spread and spatial clustering unless the aetiology in that context was as a secondary transmission from chick ‘0’ to otherwise healthy born chicks in proximity.

I hope this reaches a wider audience than the usual scientific readership. Clearly funding would be justified to establish the pathogenic aetiology of predation-unrelated chick mortality in order to consider management options that would ensure longterm population stability for BBA.

Thanks again for the read (and of course for dedicating your time to the research!)
Hello Deb,

thank you for your interest and for your kind comments, I'm glad you find it interesting.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back