• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching around Altinkum, Turkey (1 Viewer)

Sorry Derek,

I didn't get back to you before you went out. How did you get on birding.

I managed to do a bit whilst I was out. Best sightings I managed were a Spotted Eagle at Bafu Golu, a Quail that flew up from under my feet alongside the Delta near Basharan Sitesi and two birds that seemed to be Levant Sparrowhawk (a juv in the Milli park and an adult male over Bafu Golu).

Full trip report to follow.

Over in Turkey at present. So far no birding as such but Sombre tit a few feet away in the garden, Two gull billied tern new for the local patch a nightjar feeding around the local restaurant with a common tern feet away overhead this morning whilst swimming.

Heading out to Ovacik/Hisaronu area on Monday for a week - may be able to squeeze in some birding at most a few days what are the MUST DOS?

Many Thanks

Bradhino, sorry have just seen your post. I don't know the above areas however.

I've just come back from two weeks out there

I've just come back from Yesilkent and didn't do any birdwatching away from the areas around there.

The most obvious species present was Red backed Shrike (up to 15) with a couple of Lesser Grey Shrike and single Masked and Woodchat Shrikes. Also seen around the fields were a few Hoopoes and regular Black eared and Northern Wheatear. A female Pallid Harrier flew through over the fields alongside Gaye II one morning and single Short Toed Eagle and Honey Buzzard went overhead on other days. Also moving through each morning were small flocks of Yellow Wagtails and one morning a flock of Short Toed larks. THere were regular Olivaceous warblers, Ruppels Warblers as migrants and a range of other warblers that I couldn't make any sense of at all.

A nightjar was low over head at the Blue restaurant each evening I was there.

Not a lot of movement really but something to see each day I went out.

Managed some reasonable birding despite hot weather and difficulties of walking in such heat with lack of accurate maps (the day I got there an experienced hiker got lost and has not been found!)

My personal highlights include:

Short-Toed Eagle, alpine swifts, rock nuthatch, barn swallow at Kayakoy ruined town - walk through pine woodlands did not yeild a Kruper's nuthatch for me!

Atricapillus race of Jay and olivaceous warbler outside my room plus a possible Scop's owl at night ..... (Golden) Eagle and other raptors veiwable soaring over mountains, plus a flyby of what I believed to be a hobby?

Spur-winged lapwing, common sandpiper, turnstone, black-tern, white winged black-tern, sandwich tern, andouin's gull, kingfisher, Felldegg race Yellow Wagtail, little egret, grey heron at South Marshes of Calis (these need to looked after so that they fair better than the north marsh!)

Hooded crows in copse behind Calis beach and obliging crested larks on beach prom toward the South Calis Marsh

Also out in the bay from Calis to Fethiye I saw 2 White Pelicans - anybody know anything about these? On another day I saw them being ushered away from the harbour restaurants one of which was called "Pelican Cafe" ...?!?

In addition I spotted another falcon species -Peregrine I thought circling over the marsh ... it did look to have something wrong with its feet though either they were dangling or it had something attached to them ... is falconry popular in Turkey?

Boat trip to Turtle beach and surrounds yielded brief glimpses of white stork, juv purple heron. Little grebes and cormorants also present

Plenty of collared doves and house/spanish sparrows all over plus an unid'd woodpecker flying over road junction for oludeniz-hisaronu

My biggest regret is not being able to figure out the route up the mountains but given the circumstances mentioned above it may have been wise not to ...

Overall, Ovacik is not a bad little area to visit but as usual would be much better in Spring.

Just found out what the strange bird was that was singing extremely loudly and melodically outside my room in the evening - Woodlark!

New one for me! Can't wait to hear that song in the UK!

This message is for Hugh but will give advice about getting around Altinkum area by foot/public transport.

Altinkum/Marti/Yesilkent Walk
If you are staying 5 minutes from main beach, head to the far eastern end of the beaches past the Tuntas Hotel. There is a path running around the coast to Marti Sitesi and then onwards to Yesilkent.

Once you get through the hotel on the headland you are out into open low lying coastal scrub. I have seen a variety of birds around here
(see thread for details) not in big numbers but not too bada variety. May is migration time so all sorts of stuff is possible. The most productive area is the farm between "The Shack" (a little ramshackle cafe bar on the coast) and Marti Sitesi. Don't be afraid to stop at the shack for food/coffee/drinks it is very Turkish, very tasty and very reasonably prices, the people are very friendly too.

The walk continues onto Marti Sitesi. I usually go to the far end of the beach, climb up past the area where the gardening rubbish from the sitesi is burnt and then walk up the lane alongside the sitesi. This brings you up onto the main Altinkum to Yesilkent road and you can catch the Dolmus back into Altinkum (or walk) from here.

Alternatively to taking the bus back to Altinkum or returning by foot you can take the track just to the right of the top of the lane which will take you into Gaye II. This area has been very productive over the years with a wide variety of birds. If you walk down to the coast you can follow this around to the right to Yesilkent beach which is only a few minutes away.

At the beach you will probably be ready for more refreshments and you have The Blue Restaurant by here.

From the Blue restaurant head back up to the main road and catch the Dolmus back into town or if you are very fit follow the main road around to the right back down the lane past Marti and back into town.

More to follow but I'm off to work at the moment
John O'

Last edited:
Still on the theme of public transport/walking.

To visit the lagoons. Take the Akkoy Dolmus or if the drivers will take you the Soke bus and get off at Basharan Sitesi. You can also catch the Aquapark dolmus and walk up from the Aquapark. Early in the morning the walk is much longer as the Dolmus does not actually go up as far as the Aquapark.

Basharan Sitesi is on the left hand side of the road not too far past the Fishing Harbour which itself is past the Aqua park. Walk through the Sitesi if you can watching out for the guard dogs which sometimes come out at you. If the dogs are about it makes sense to walk outside around the right hand edge of the sitesi. When you get to the back of the sitesi you will see a track leading off on the right. Follow this around and this will give you extensive views over the lagoon, plus access to scrubland and some farmland.

If you are feeling adventurous you can follow the coast right around past the farmland (in a wide valley) over to the next headland. In order to get to the next headland however you have to do a fair bit of scrambling over waterfilled ditches and through bushes.

Getting back to Didim is easier as all the buses I have waved at have stopped to pick me up.

Over in Turkey at present. Haven't done any birding but added Nightjar onto house list and am sat in the local restaurant now with one nightjar sat on (and off) a wire in front of me and another jar hunting up and down over the road.

Just returned from Turkey no bird watching as such but a few good sightings.

The nightjars were regular over and around the local Blue Restaurant each evening sometimes as close as 6-10 feet away. One was also heard churring around the Sitesi and also one late evening seen and heard flying past our house.

A second crepuscular species added to the house list seen flying past the house was a Stone Curlew seen in silhouette. We had heard one earlier the same evening calling repeatedly over farmland just across from the Sitesi.

Also a short toed eagle over Marti Sitesi one morning, a pair of Black headed bunting by Gaye II, a Sombre tit in the Pine opposite the house and single sightings of Hoopoe and Syrian Woodpecker at the Dolmus stop at Yesilkent.

Generally there were hundreds of house sparrows around and about, good numbers of Red-Rumped Swallow, lots of blackbirds, a few house martins and a couple of Northern Swallow. I also had three sightings of single swift, a pair of corn buntings and a fly over Kestrel.

I did go out for a walk one morning and it was obvious that compared to migration times there were very few birds around the only warbler I saw in two weeks was one Sardinian.

Another trip out without too much time devoted to birding. It seemed that I arrived at a time when the summer species had mostly moved on but before the winter species had moved in (hardly any chiffs/no black reds).

Had two very good views of a dark phase Eleanoras a few days apart (one over beach, one from Dolmus stop) also 7 Great White Egrets seen from house. There were a few Red backed shrike around most mornings, with regular Sombre Tit, Syrian Woodpecker, Spotted Flycatcher, Corn Bunting, and the usual Little owls each evening. Offshore a few regular Sandwich Tern.

Genrally very few overhead migrants of any description although one morning after strong overnight southerlies a strong passage of Swallow went through (same morning as Egrets past house). Other birds overhead small numbers of Chaffinch and white wagtail.

Last edited:
Addition to both the house (seen from) and Yesilkent list today via a photo my father in law took of a bird in the top of the pine opposite the house. He left the day I arrived so I didn't know of photo until today. A very clear image of a juvenile Squacco Heron.

Just back from Turkey. Any time spent birding in and around the Yesilkent peninsular.
Some good sightings with details to follow.

I added a Dalmation Pelican (flying just behind house low down!!), Rose Coloured Starling (five seperate flocks) and Red Footed Falcon to house list. For the first ten days R C S seen regularly including c200 in trees on outskirts of Altinkum, I've only seen them in Turkey once before. After this no further sightings of this species in this area.

May 14th to May 28th
As posted above I spent the time in and around the Yesilkent Peninsular, predominantly around the house but also with a couple of trips over to the west coast by Marti Sitesi. On the 27th I spent an hour sea-watching in a sunny flat calm. This was very successful with Shearwaters and Dolphins constantly in telescope view feeding actively. The 21st was also a notable day. There had been a very strong NE wind for the two days previously and the calm sunny conditions of the 21st seemed to bring through a few late migrants with first records of Dalmatian Pelican and Red –Foot flying over the house also 25 Rose Colored Starling past the house and two Lesser Kestrels over Yesilkent (first record for me there). I spent an hour and a half just north of Yesilkent at the top of the hill on this day hoping for further movement but apart from regular sightings of a variety of falcon sp did not pick any-thing further up.
The most interesting sightings were

Eleanoras Falcon: 16th 2 over Zumrut, 21st 3 north of Marti, 23rd dark phase off the shack, 27th Dark Phase just offshore Marti

Grey Plover: A single at Marti beach was a first on the peninsular for me and the only wader seen in two weeks.

Med Gull: Much more frequently seen than before, regular “anting” over Yesilkent with up to 100 circling and calling. Seen throughout two weeks but biggest numbers during first week when anting taking place.

Nightjar: typically one by the Blue Restaurant evening of the 15th. This being the only time I was out and about at dusk.

Bee-Eater: At least two were heard calling over the house (15th) 8 were seen very briefly over the house on the 17th and a flock was heard similarly on the 22nd. I have only seen/heard bee-eater once in this area before so assume fast moving late/local migrants.

Orphean Warbler: Two very close prolonged views. A bird singing from the top of an evergreen at Marti (17th) and a bird on wires (Gaye II) on the 23rd

Chiffchaff: One bird on the 15thwas presumably a late migrant or the last of the wintering birds.

Spotted Fly: 5 seen on the 16th

Little Owl: Only seen twice, both this species and Scops Owl seem to be reducing in number.

Black Headed Bunting: Singing males seen throughout the two weeks in all patches of suitable habitat. This included a bird just around the corner from the house. Despite trying I couldn’t get this bird onto house list.

Hoopoe: 1 north of Marti 21st

Hobby: A falcon that went by at the Yayla (17th) seemed to be this species

Swift: More frequent over the two weeks than I have recorded them before. Biggest flock on the21st May with c60 at least two pallid swift accompanied them (I managed to scope at least one from the top terrace).

Alpine Swift: May21st, late afternoon 12-15 seen feeding over Yesilkent; 27th 8 Flew up from Yesilkent to Altinkum alongside the Dolmus

Pallid Swift: I have not recorded this species in Turkey before but saw two singles this time one from the Venosa Beach Hotel 19th and at least 2 were in the mixed flock of Swift (3 species) over Yesilkent on the 21st.

Red Backed Shrike: Male and female on wires Gaye II

Woodchat Shrike: Just one bird in Olives at Yesilkent on the 22nd

Rose Colored Starling: I’ve only seen RCS once before in Turkey. Flocks seen frequently during the first ten days including from the house, from the Venosa beach hotel and 200+ in trees by Tuntas hotel. Possibly part of a wider notable influx?
Shag: 3 just off the pier Venosa Beach, seen a few times from Yesilkent beach

Yelkuoan Shear: Around 250 in total offshore on 27th

Cory’s Shear: Around 40 offshore on 27th

Audoins Gull: 26th Adult on rocks by Palm Wings, 27th Adult and 2nd summer headland by Marti a Turkish first for me.

Dalmatian Pelican: One at rooftop level just behind house. It gained height in a thermal and joined a female red-foot. This is the first Pelican I’ve seen around Yesilkent although my father-in-law saw one two weeks earlier over the sea.

Red footed Falcon: see Dalmatian pelican (2nd Yesilkent record for me).

Lesser Kestrel: May 21st Two soaring/feeding over Yesilkent, 1 seen later north of Marti, 27th Male over the Dolunay

Little Egret: May 27th 2 on rocks by the Shack, 1 at Yesilkent Beach. Seems strange that this species only seen on this one day In two separate locations.

Common Tern: breeding colony on a small island, frequently seen off Yesilkent beach including directly overhead when swimming.

Other species noted Great Cormorant (small numbers offshore) Kestrel (seen twice), Yellow-Legged Gull (offshore in small numbers), Barn Swallow () Red-Rumped Swallow (frequently seen in small numbers), House martin (big colony at the Venosa Beach Hotel, this huge artificial cliff very much to their liking), Collared Dove (common), Woodpecker sp (drumming heard from farmland by Marti? Syrian) Crested lark (ubiquitous), Blackbird ( very common, constantly singing, nesting in car port), White wagtail (scarce but seen most days) Olivaceous Warbler (commonest warbler in scrub singing all over the place), Northern Wheatear (2 single males seen), Great Tit ( a couple of pair out and about), Black Eared wheatear ( numbers seem down on previous years), Magpie ( a few about), Corn Bunting (common in suitable scrubby habitat), House Sparrow (common), Goldfinch (frequently seen) Greenfinch (as Goldfinch).

I also added a few mammals to my Turkish list with

Fox: at Gaye II

Rabbit: 2 at the Police academy

Dolphins: Bottle nosed and Striped, pod of 20 Bottlenosed and odd 3-5’s Striped dotted across bay. Lots of breaching and spinning around in mid air from the striped dolphins.

Flying Fish 1: I picked what I assumed to be a small wader on the 27th flying low down over the water. As I focused in it stayed in view for a couple of seconds then dropped into the water and disappeared.

Last edited:
I've just bought a villa two miles outside of Altinkum. Despite not birding during a week out there whilst we bought saw amongst others. Rollers, Bee- eater, white stork , Little bittern, Lesser kestrel, Black-eared wheatear, black headed bunting, alpine swift, etc. Please would people be so kind as to submit sightings onto this thread which will help me build up a picture of what is possible at what time of year, Thanks John O'

Im just thinking of buying a house in Akbuk or Altinkum. Are there any biridng groups in the area? - official or not!!! All the best, Helen

Hi Helen, no other birders/groups as far as I'm aware.

Make sure and do your research before buying, check out the Absolutely Altinkum Forum and Turkey Living Forum and Voices Newspaper Altinkum before you buy.

Lots of bargains around, very much a buyers Market. Generally people advise to rent for 6 months and have a good look before committing.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back