• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds you have seen but want to see in summer plumage (1 Viewer)

I did a trip to Alaska in June 2019, including a jaunt up to Barrow/Utqiagvik, which got me a ton of long-awaited breeding plumage views, and it was almost like getting them as lifers again - Red Phalarope, Snow Bunting, Lapland Longspur, American Golden Plover, male Snowy Owl, all 4 eiders, plus loons and other sandpipers - well worth it if you're able! Remaining North American species that I still want to see in breeding plumage include the other three longspurs. Outside of North America, definitely Ruff is high on the list, plus Standard-winged Nightjar and Long-tailed Widowbird (almost feel like my non-breeding/female plumage encounters of the latter two don't count).

Most of the most wanted UK species being mentioned here I've seen at their best (eg Lap Bunt, Red-throated Pipit, Wilson's Phal), Grey Phalarope being the major exception. If I've seen the full plumage abroad I'm not too bothered about getting it in the UK, although I might bend that rule for a Bobolink.

What I am missing, and would like to catch up with some day, some place, are a Red-breasted Flycatcher with a red breast and a Barred Warbler with bars.

I saw a Black-throated Blue Warbler this year in West Virginia, but it was a female, so I really want to see a male, hopefully I can get one this spring on migration. Other birds include Common Loon, Horned Grebe, Cape May Warbler, Bay-breasted Warbler, and probably others that have slipped my mind.

Most of the most wanted UK species being mentioned here I've seen at their best (eg Lap Bunt, Red-throated Pipit, Wilson's Phal), Grey Phalarope being the major exception. If I've seen the full plumage abroad I'm not too bothered about getting it in the UK, although I might bend that rule for a Bobolink.

What I am missing, and would like to catch up with some day, some place, are a Red-breasted Flycatcher with a red breast and a Barred Warbler with bars.
Ditto.

Just seen 1 RBF with a red breast here, all my Barred Warblers here have been juvs.

Red-necked and Red (Grey) Phalarope (seen Wilson's female still in breeding plumage back in the '70s); all the divers / loons except for red-throated (which I've seen, but which are a bit underwhelming in breeding plumage IMHO); Ruff (at a lek, seen slightly tatty post-breeding birds); also agree a RBF would be nice, along with Snow and Lapland Buntings - I actually found a Lapland Bunting's nest once in northern Sweden, but only saw the female.
Agree winter plumage LTDs are superior - saw a large group in summer plumage in NE Scotland a few years ago and although nice to tick off another plumage, the white of winter is best.
Further afield, only seen a female manakin and female Red-headed Barbet - lekking male manakins of any species would be good.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back