• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Warwickshire (2 Viewers)

Sandwich Tern at Earlswood this afternoon. Still present when leaving at 6.50pm.

Another great find by Matt

Attachments

• DSCN1138.JPG
    DSCN1138.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 51
Ok John I will put this another way - what do you see in Matt's pics that suggests Mealy structurally? The Mealy I found at Middleton at the weekend was pale but noticeably larger than the Lessers with a relatively smaller head and longer tail. Many of the Lessers are nearly as pale and within the range of Matt's bird. This is not unusual due to wear at this time of year. There is no need to reply with links to pale birds on other websites.

Last edited:
Ok John I will put this another way - what do you see in Matt's pics that suggests Mealy structurally? The Mealy I found at Middleton at the weekend was pale but noticeably larger than the Lessers with a relatively smaller head and longer tail. Many of the Lessers are nearly as pale and within the range of Matt's bird. This is not unusual due to wear at this time of year. There is no need to reply with links to pale birds on other websites.

I would believe that Mealies which would vary in size, some quite large in strutcure and others smaller, maybe a difference in male and female or body size like as in humans, also there are darker mealies which are in the minority but there are more about than people presume, noticeable especially if you get a large Browm mealy against a Lesser redpoll on the feeders. Mealies breed in Scandanvia and far into Russia thus covering a large Geographical area so variation is plausible.

Structure does not equal size. Small mealies will still have the same structural differences - I wont post again but please feel free to answer my question.

Pale redpoll

Thanks both, whatever it truly is I don't think it can go down as a definite Mealy so will leave it at that :t:. Btw, the photos weren't taken by me (I didn't see the bird).
Kind regards,
Matt

Hartshill Hayes CP

30/3/14 Blackcap singing around carpark.
1/4/14 3 Crossbill feeding on conifers in the carpark, migrant Willow Warbler singing.
2/4/14 carpark 4 Redwing
4/4/14 Hartshill Hayes wood Migrant Willow Warbler
Mancetter Hills migrant Blackcap and a Swallow over quarry farm.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Black Redstart Mancetter

Found this morning 10:45 by Bob Duckhouse track and footpath off Quarry lane at horse paddocks SP31637 95877, also seen again this eveninig in yard South West and adjoining horse paddocks at SP31611 958256. D Simmons

Regards, John

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back