• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Staffordshire (1 Viewer)

JHDraytonbassettpits

Looking at the threads there is a Rare birds thread, North Staffs Bird thread and a thread referring to South Staffs Baggerage area. This thread is for general birds of Staffordshire.

Regards, John

24/12/11 Whitmoor Haye
Visiting the area today after a long time period, the outdoor pursuits building has now been constructed, produced by a charity, for details WWW. Actioncentre.co.uk they call it Whitemoor pools
Parking my car I could hear Tree Sparrow in the hedge, these are suprisingly hard to see, easier in the winter when hedges have no foliage.
No activity on the outdoor pursuits centre, noted on the meadow here 800 lapwing and many geese Canadian and Greylag. Men preparing to shoot on the back lake flushed geese and other wildfowl everything went up, on the main lake also, wildfowl quickly vacated the area.
Makes you wonder how breeding waders will cope with all these people at the outdoor pursuits centre running about, with an assault type course along the lake and putting boats into the lake, they should be notified of breeding waders.
Moving along the rough track a Tree Sparrow could be seen clearly in the unfoliaged hedge, in the adjoining fields 232 Mute Swans were counted feeding in the Rape field, no wonder wild swans are occasionally attracted to this area.
Moving to Croxhall Reserve 11 Lesser Redpoll in the car park, a good number of Pochard on the lake, Little Egret and a Redshank calling.
At the back of the National Arboretum a pool excellent for waders with phragmites, with a little management and a hide no doubt would attract interest.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Birding in Staffordshire

Hi John,
Doesn't the Birding In Staffordshire thread already cover this?

Hi Steve,
Birding in Staffordshire requests birdwatchers experience around Cheadle, the Staffordshire Moorlands and favourite walks/local patches in that area, See first post.

If anyone has posted different on the Birding in Staffordshire thread it is probably because there is no appropriate thread for their sightings.

Regards, John

Hi Steve,
Birding in Staffordshire requests birdwatchers experience around Cheadle, the Staffordshire Moorlands and favourite walks/local patches in that area, See first post.

If anyone has posted different on the Birding in Staffordshire thread it is probably because there is no appropriate thread for their sightings.

Regards, John

Hi John

Originally the thread was titled birding in the Staffordshire Moorlands, etc, but a while a ago the title was changed to Birding in Staffordshire, so it now includes sightings from anywhere in Staffordshire that aren't rare or scarce enough for the Rare & Scarce thread!!!

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

Regards, John

Hi John,

Yes I know this, but as the thread became more popular to a wider Staffordshire audience, it gradually morphed into the thread it is now, hence the author (Urban Fox) changing the original north Staffs heading to the now Birding in Staffordshire heading. For me it works well and better just to have a couple of main threads that stick to what it says on the tin so to speak.

Cheers Steve

Last edited:
I think the threads serve their purposes well enough.

Birding in Staffordshire- any bird related posts
The natural history of Staffordshire - any non-avian posts
Rare and scare - as it says
The birds and wildlife of the Staffordshire Moorlands - For right up north of the county. I think this thread was started to bring back a bit more of a community feel to the Staffs forum. The Birding in Staffordshire thread has lost some of its 'friendly' feel in recent years, so I think Dean tried to get back to basics with the new Staffs Moorlands thread. I quite liked some of the older posts, especially Deans ability to write really descriptive and creative pieces about his days birding. Where as now it is often just a list of birds, which makes it a bit clinical at times. But each to their own, and that is where I think the new Staffs moorlands thread fits in.

I feel the only possible new thread we might need is an out and about one (although that name has already gone to the Facebook group). Somewhere for Staffs birders to report out of county trips and organise lifts to twitches, days out both in and out of Staffs etc. I was going to start such a thread but was unsure of how popular it might prove. Guess there is nothing lost in starting one is there? Just need a different name, unless a member/admin/creator of the Facebook group doesn't mind me stealing theirs?

Adam

Hi Steve & Adam,
Thanks for your views, however myself I only put bird information on threads or sites as requested by the thread starter or owner of the site.

Regards, John

Last edited:
24/12/11 Whitmoor Haye the mute swan count was high along the old road 232 also Alrewas birder recording 292 on the 18/12/11 on his blog. In the 2008 WMBC report the highest count for all Counties was 200 at Whitmoor Haye in November. There was usually a large herd of Mute Swan at Catholme. However it may be they have moved down River to feed in the large Rape field next Whitmoor Haye Quarry.

Regards, John

Correction

24/12/11 Whitmoor Haye the mute swan count was high along the old road 232 also Alrewas birder recording 292 on the 18/12/11 on his blog. In the 2008 WMBC report the highest count for all Counties was 200 at Whitmoor Haye in November. There was usually a large herd of Mute Swan at Catholme. However it may be they have moved down River to feed in the large Rape field next Whitmoor Haye Quarry.

Regards, John
Correction

WMBC 2008 Report Blithfield August 230 Mute Swan so Whitmore Haye not the highest total that year.
At present Alrewas birder is getting counts of over 300 in the field by Sittles farm next to the Quarry.

Regards, John

Cannock Chase: Past & Present

Cannock Chase after the last Ice Age would have been quickly colonised by Birch and Scott's pine, with Oak (sessile) later domintaing.
Eventually Oak forcing Scott's pine out of England and into Scotland.
A remnant of this Oak/ Birch woodland still exists on the Chase in a small area now called Brocton Coppice, old oaks providing nestholes for a variety of birds.
Early settlers cleared the Chase of trees and Heathland developed as it did in many parts of England
In the Norman period Cannock Chase became a Royal Hunting domain with Fallow Deer being released.
Heathland was still common in England, however after 1800 and the Agricultural Revolution and modern Agriculture now 80 % of this lowland Heath has been lost.
Cannock Chase survived as Heathland being high and undulating with strata of pebbles, sand and shingle draining water quickly and thus very dry and infertile, the water emerging lower down and forming springs i.e Severn Springs.
In 1919 The Forestry Commision was formed after the Great War conflict caused a National shortage of wood. The first conifers to be planted on the Chase were Scott's pine by unemployed miner's of the area, other types of Conifer were planted later, creating large conifer plantations with loss of Heathland as can be seen today.

Mute Swans at Whitemoor Haye

Correction

WMBC 2008 Report Blithfield August 230 Mute Swan so Whitmore Haye not the highest total that year.
At present Alrewas birder is getting counts of over 300 in the field by Sittles farm next to the Quarry.

Regards, John

Hi, just a quick update for your information. My blog is never up to date but I have been doing counts of the Mute Swans.
7-12-11 - 191
12-12-11 - 246
17-12-11 - 283
18-12-11 - 292
24-12-11 - 314
25-12-11 - 306
27-12-11 - 336
28-12-11 - 328
29-12-11 - 318
30-12-11 - 330
Just off now to do Whitemoor once again.
All the best for 2012
Stuart

Mute Swan Counts at Whitmore Haye

Hi, just a quick update for your information. My blog is never up to date but I have been doing counts of the Mute Swans.
7-12-11 - 191
12-12-11 - 246
17-12-11 - 283
18-12-11 - 292
24-12-11 - 314
25-12-11 - 306
27-12-11 - 336
28-12-11 - 328
29-12-11 - 318
30-12-11 - 330
Just off now to do Whitemoor once again.
All the best for 2012
Stuart

Thanks Stuart, very interesting I am sure the Staffordshire County recorder would be noting these details.

Regards, John

31/12/11 Branston gp's 3 Ruff, 50+ Golden Plover, 9 Curlew. Chris Cook

1/1/12 Catholme pits pair Smew, Goosander, Little Egret. Chris Cook

Chasewater 3rd Win Iceland Gull roosted Chris Cook

Great Grey Shrike: Upper Longdon

Picture of Upper Longdon Great Grey Shrike showing prey species and looks like a Shrew. Picture taken by Chris Cook.

Regards, John

Attachments

• DSCN9342.JPG
    DSCN9342.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Whitmoor Haye, Croxhall NR

Access from the A38 Burton Road at the Alrewas Junction follow the sign to Tamworth travelling along the A513, shortly you will see a round-a-bout, first left is to the National Arboretum, straight on is Croxhall NR and right to Whitmoor Haye.
Turning right you will see a new building a recent outdoor pursuits centre, follow the road along and pull in to skan with your scope. This pool is the main pool Whitmoor Haye, the pool attracts wildfowl, sometimes Smew occasionally Pink-footed or White-fronted Geese with the canada's and greylags. Spring/Autumn waders, Spring Wheatear and resident summer Yellow Wagtails.
Another pool beyond this pool attracts similiar, Scaup have been seen here. The pool is private and regulary attracts men shooting.
Follow the road further on past an old farm, Tree Sparrow can be seen here, look out for wild Swan and wild Geese, a group of Tundra Bean Geeese wintered here in the past.
Turn onto the old rough road here in the hedges Tree Sparrow, Corn Bunting, Yellowhammer and Reed Bunting can be seen. If the fields contain oil seed rape large herds of Mute Swan can be seen, sometimes wintering Tundra Swan, usually Whooper. Merlins in winter come in for passerines and Quail breed in summer. In this area Staffordshires first Woodchat Shrike was found and a Dotterel last Spring.
You can follow the old Road and return along it or turn right to do a loop, follow the road until back to the island, turn right follow the road over the river and left into the Croxhall NR free carpark. Croxhall NR consisits of a large lake good for wildfowl, Smew has been recorded, also good for passage waders, Whiskered Terns have been recorderd here part of the group from Willington gp's Derbyshire. There ia a hide on the main pool, East of the railway is a meadow (White-fronted Geese have been seen here) also a scrape and another pool.
The National Arboretum there is a muddly scrape with phragmites near the river, which attracts waders, another pit under the railway has attracted 3 Red-necked Grebes and a Scaup in the past, but to get to this area requires some walking.
Pits over the river at Catholme are still active gravel workings and reclaimed pits further north, Barton gp's are private, used by Burton and Mutual Angling Association or a private Yachting lake.
The other side of the A38 are Branston gp's which have a footpath going through.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back