• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Jatun Sacha Biological Station (1 Viewer)

gdhunter

According to the checklist (revised 2008) compiled by Bonnie Bochan, a monograph (to be titled The Birds of Jatun Sacha Biological Station) with "information on abundance, status, habitat preference, habits, seasonality in movement and vocalization, migration and breeding patterns, as well as historical data and interviews" was in preparation. I've found nothing indicating availability of the monograph, and am not even sure it has been completed (or if completion is contemplated).

Am wondering if any BirdForum members have information about such a potentially useful resource.

Gary H

I can't find any evidence that it ever came out. After a little internet stalking it appears as if there is still a Bonnie Bochan residing in Winterport, ME, and apparently the PO Box 306 on the list is current. No e-mail for her though. It may be worth a quick letter to her to ask about it.

I would certainly be interested in a copy if they exist!

It may be worth a quick letter to her to ask about it.

Thanks. I'll try to send something in the next few days.

Ridgely & Greenfield (2001) cite Bochan in several species accounts, and the bibliographic notation reads "In prep.". She obviously compiled (and may still be compiling) a wealth of information relevant to a region that seems otherwise not well covered by any published works.

Gary H

After a little internet stalking it appears as if there is still a Bonnie Bochan residing in Winterport, ME, and apparently the PO Box 306 on the list is current.

A letter to the PO Box was returned with a notation that the forwarding time had expired but offering a forwarding address in Deer Isle, ME. Have resent the inquiry letter and will offer any update in this thread.

Gary H.

According to the checklist (revised 2008) compiled by Bonnie Bochan, a monograph (to be titled The Birds of Jatun Sacha Biological Station) with "information on abundance, status, habitat preference, habits, seasonality in movement and vocalization, migration and breeding patterns, as well as historical data and interviews" was in preparation. I've found nothing indicating availability of the monograph, and am not even sure it has been completed (or if completion is contemplated).

Bonne Bochan (in an email reply) reports that a final list (updated January 2013) documented the occurrence of 583 species at and near Jatun Sacha Biological Station; that list is presumably available from Jatun Sacha, but I've received no answer to my email query to the foundation.

She also reports that work on the monograph is complete and that publication (in Ecuador) during winter 2013 had been contemplated before unforeseen delays. She hopes those problems can be resolved, but does not rule out publication in the United States as a last resort.

If I do hear from the foundation, I'll pass along any information gleaned.

Gary H

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back