• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds at Auschwitz ? (2 Viewers)

The absence of birdsong at Auschwitz is surely a myth. Why would birds and other animals be traumatised by the echo of human suffering?

Much better that ALL humankind stop and think awhile rather than some creatures. And I'm sure we do.

First read this post yesterday and today I had occasion during my working day to visit a factory where thousands of chickens are put to death on a daily basis. On the office lawns were thrushes, wagtails and starling. In the perimeter brambles, Linnet, Goldfinch, Dunnock and Wren. To-ing and fro-ing, Stock Dove, Swallow and Black-headed Gull (no surprise there then).

Not much avian empathy at this place.

I visited Auschwitz today, admittedly a very noisy time of year for birds. The group I was with only wanted to visit camp 1 (composed of brick buildings, which I couldn't recall ever having seen on TV - usually images are of Birkenau).

It was actually fairly birdy. House Sparrows and Jackdaw dominated the carpark. While walking around I saw Blackbirds, heard Blue Tits, and saw one life bird - Black Redstart, and a yearbird - Treecreeper.

Visited Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp about 20 miles outside Berlin last week. Heavy rain showers and not the best time of year for birds but one of the first things I noticed was the lack of birds. 2 swallows flew over near the end and there were also 2 hooded crows present but that was it.

Of course there's no scientific reason for it and it's obviously a bit of a myth but it certainly added to the eerie atmosphere on the day. The atmosphere in that place was palpable.

I have stayed in a seedy hotel in Dachau on business many times and whereas the 'Camp' has a distinct feeling, just down the road there are some pools with a more than good selection of birds.

Merlin

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back