• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds around Manchester (1 Viewer)

Hmm dunno it was very light in colour mostly white and the same size as the black headed gull. Definite yellow beak and no white patch on head. Swooped around and dived on the lake fishing !

Off hunting green woodpeckers tomorrow !

Went looking for the escaped booted eagle up in Royton, Oldham couldnt find it tho, maybe its been recaptured ?

Jane

I notice you've visited Astley Moss Jane - do you know there are three small nature reserves at the south end of the Moss? The whole area, Astley, Irlam, Bedford, Little Woolden Moss and Holcroft Mosses are known as Chat Moss. They run up to Holcroft Lane to the south, after that it's Rixton and Risley Mosses - a huge area, unfortunately a lot of it is inaccessible to the general public.

I visited New Moss (perversly, on Little Woolden Moss!) reserve yesterday, run by the Woodland Trust. It's a small (30 hectare) reserve consiting of newly planted native hardwoods running into scrub birch and willow. It's too young (1995) to be really good yet, but they did some work on it last winter, cutting back scrub to create more edges, which has made it more attractive. Lots of butterflies though on the massive nettle and thistle beds, roe deer (though I've never seen any) and I almost always see foxes if I visit early. Yesterday, on the surrounding farmland, I saw a brood of yellow wagtails, linnets, corn buntings and yellowhammers - all species which have declined dramatically locally.

Holcroft Moss reserve is an area of mature typical moss woodland with a cleared area adjoining which just screams Short Eared Owl or even Hen Harrier in the winter!. Jennets Lane reserve (it hasn't actually got a real name as far as I can see) is a little gem! Approx. 200 acres of farmland, bought by the Forestry Commission a couple of years ago. A couple of woods, but mostly hay meadow which I presume they will cut later this year, with thick, mature hedges. It's only a couple of years old and in a dozen visits (I only discovered it earlier in the summer) I've encountered five people! Whilst walking around it's difficult to believe you're only a few miles away from Manchester.

If you're new to birdwatching Jane, then try a visit to Pennington Flash and go to Bunting Hide, especially in winter. It's a feeding station and can be quite spectacular - close up views of many species of birds, including the odd water rail!

saluki

Hi Mark here(Jane's b/f). Thanks for the info Saluki, unfortunately with neither of us originating from Manchester our knowledge of the local geography is a bit sketchy so if u give us a bit more detail as to how to get to the places u mention we'd be very grateful. We have been to Pennington flash a few times and specifically to the Bunting hide, saw our first Greater spotted woodpecker there. Still hunting the Green Woodpecker but no success yet, we've been to places where they are supposed to be but no luck yet, we'll be trying again today

Roberta Jane,

Hello from Timperley!

If you want Green Woodpeckers one of the best "local" spots is Marbury Country Park (also known as Budworth) which is about 5 miles from Northwich.

Green Woodpeckers are regular here and if you time your visit well, early Spring especially you stand a really good chance of all three, Great & Lesser Spotted as well as Green.

The Mere itself attracts wintering Bitterns (at least three last year).

I haven't seen Black Redstart for a while in Manchester, but one was reported singing in St Peter's Square 12/06/02 and also in June 2001 near the Town Hall. I have seen one here but only found it by going into Manchester at 5:00 when there is no traffic and listening for the song!

They also used to nest in buildings around the car parks at Dale/Ducie Street - so you never know - they might be on your doorstep!

I also believe that they have nested in Ashton-under-Lyne recently, and there have been reports from Adswood Tip nr Stockport.

Finally - to add to the list of local sites, Carrington Moss is not bad - the birds can sometimes be hard to find but Brambling, Merlin and Buzzard are regular in the winter and Corn Bunting, Yellowhammer and Yellow Wagtail all breed or summer.

As you probably know by now, I've mailed you instructions on how to find the reserves. I wouldn't bother making a special visit as the reserves are small, but if your planning a trip to Astley Moss or Pennington Flash it's worth calling in - although if you want a lovely, peaceful walk in the evening the Jennets Lane reserve is ideal. Between the Flash and the Moss there's another reserve, Hope Carr, take a look at the 'Timberland Trail' sign in the carpark of the Flash for instructions on how to get there.

I did see an adult and a juvenile G. Woodpecker at Jennets Lane a couple of weeks ago, which suggests they may have nested in the area but I'd second Rob's suggestion of Marbury for them - just listen out for their call, it's unmistakable! I saw LS woodpeckers there last spring but, as Rob suggests, it's better to get there before the leaves are on the trees, otherwise they can be impossible to spot. A good place for nuthatches too.

Have you tried this site BTW:

http://www.gmbirds.freeserve.co.uk/

saluki

Hi all !...Well we've had a look around Dale St and Ducie St., to no avail..I think all the development may have scared the Blk Redstarts away ?..Still havent seen any Green woodies yet but may go looking again later today....However, Mark and I have both spotted a Raptor of some type around the buildings here near Piccadilly and Mark is fairly certain he saw a Peregrine chaing Pidgeons over near a new buildinh on the Irwel over behind the MacDonalds on the A57 at the viaduct. Fast food indeed. Our blue tits have returned to the feeder we have haging 4 floors up too !
Jane

I work on Dickinson St just off Portland St and I saw Black Redstart on roof tops on Portland St in 1999, but they have built a new hotel and generally 'tidied up' around the area and I've not seen them since.
A traditional spot was Ducie St car park by Picadilly train station but again with the Metrolink and the new Malmaison Hotel work going on, they seem have to gone from there as well.

Green Woodpecker is tricky in Greater Manchester - I've seen them at Arnfield Reservoir up near Tintwistle. Marbury Country Park is probably the most reliable place - you get all three species of peckers here so a nice sunny Spring day before the leaves come out is your best bet.

HI we tired Jennets Lane and New MOss reserve but saw very little at all at Jennets La! Saw some grey partridges on the farmers track opposite that disused yard at New Moss just B4 we left though and a couple of Kestrels. Heard lots of little chirrups form unidentified flying brown birds too. And some long tail tits too.
Also we saw a Kingfisher at Pennington flash at Curlew Hide ?(The 1 past the bunting hide ?) It sat on a post in the pond for us and fished a few small sprats. Stayed for 15 mins or so th eflew off-Magnificent ! Also saw Snipe and Sanderling and probablbe Black tailed Godwit there ! The Cormorants are still there too on the main lake. Gadwall are on the pond by the New hide too - a good trip. Easy too !
wE think it is a Peregrine in the City centre, seen it a few times now flying over.
May have a look at Marbury today ?
Jane

I was also at Pennington Flash this morning so we probably passed each other !

Not sure about Godwit or Sanderling. There was a Ruff close in by Horrocks Hide and the juv. Pectoral Sandpiper at the end of the spit. One Green Sandpiper from Teal Hide and 6 Bullfinches on the feeders.

If you read my previous posting there was an area of disued land next to the Rochdale canal where I saw sparrow wagtails thrushes and balckbirds and blue tits maybe even a black cap ! this summer. Well its all tinned off now for building by the council and they've cut all the trees down too ! - Urban vandalism on an official scale. NO more birds there I guess ?
Jane

Hi Jane and Mark,

I see Green and Pied Woodpeckers on my patch in the Dean valley running between Rainow and Bollington, just South of Stockport.

Well for 2007 ....

Peregirnes breeding Near Victoria station...

Black redstarts in China town ....

Possible Olivaceous warbler there too (btw I'm certain it was the one I saw previously on Tobin St behing Piccadilly station in July - big beak + warbler shaped ?)

Goldfinches in Piccadilly gardens and Albert square ....

Also we still have Greenfinches, blue tits and an occasional Great tit on our
4th floor bird feeder.

Not bad ?
Roberta

Well for 2007 ....

Possible Olivaceous warbler there too (btw I'm certain it was the one I saw previously on Tobin St behing Piccadilly station in July - big beak + warbler shaped ?)

Roberta

I think this was (reluctantly) agreed upon that it was a Reed Warbler in the end.

More birds around Manchester

I'm just coming to the end of a years contract working in City Tower in Piccadilly Gardens on the 13th floor and we see the Peregines almost daily. Mostly a brief glimpse as they whizz past, but earlier this month we saw the parents enticing the juveniles into the air to take food from the Parents claws in the air ! I spotted 5 birds doing this very hawk like thing and then realised they were the Peregrine family ! They took off repeatedlly from the top of the Arndale Tower. This lasted 20 minutes or so until they flew off.

We have seen one of the Parents previously swoop past the windows going upwards with a dead pigeon in its claws. Apparently they use the top of a bay type window on the 24th or so floor as a plucking site !

The best sighting I have had was last week when Mark and I were walking back up Ducie Street going towards Jutland street where we now live. I noticed a bird circling over 1 Jutland street keening as it did so. We got right underneath it and it was definitely one of the Peregines. No idea what it was doing ? Maybe a young bird after prey, or calling at a parent bird with food ? It did it for about 5 or 6 minutes, then flew off back towards the North side of the city.

Its fantastic to see these birds so close and I will miss them.

Mark and I have also tried to spot the Black Redstarts again, but this time on top of the old CWS buikdings on Button Street. We have seen birds there briefly and the calls sound like on-line recordings of Black Redstarts but so far we have not got a decent sighting that we could confirm.

Lastly, also last week a young Heron flew across jutland street and landed on the canal side just past the bridge. It then flew off down the Ashton canal. That was 9.00 ish in the morning and we havent seen it since !

Roberta

Hi everyone!

Just a quick recommendation please.

I'll be in Wythenshawe on Friday morning with about three or four hours free. Where would you recommend I spend my time?

I don't get much time to go birding. For example I haven't seen any of these yet this year: siskin, grey wagtail, blackcap, snipe, treecreeper.

I've heard about a place in Northwich, but anywhere in the South Manchester area will be considered.

Thanks very much.

Andrew.

BTW I too was brought up in Timperley.

Neumann's Flash/Marbury near Northwich would be a good choice with a reasonable chance of seeing some of those on your "wanted" list. Good for all 3 woodpecker also.

You could park at Marbury Country Park, walk through the woods along the lake towards Neumanns, taking in Hadyns Pool and Neumanns as well.

Alternatively Pennington Flash near Leigh is good, with an outside chance of the Great White Egret in the area making an appearance.

Enjoy your day - I'd offer to meet up but am busy Friday pm.

Neumann's Flash was the place I was thinking of. There was a rare bird there earlier this year but I can't remember what it was.

Anyway, I've never been there before so that sounds like a good option (weather-permitting).

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back