• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds and Butterflies in Northumberland? (1 Viewer)

Julian61

I'm spending a week in Craster at the end of the month. Any tips for good birding and butterflying? (I'll be getting over to the Farne Islands at some point I think).

Are there any sites where I can find Green Hairstreaks?

I'm no butterfly expert, so can't help you there. However, Craster is a good base for birding, central to several excellent locations.

In addition to the Farne Islands, you can take a walk from Craster to Low Newton, along the coast past Dunstanbrough castle and along Embleton bay. Low Newton is a good place for waders and migrants (and also has a great pub - The Ship!). Heading north of Seahouses, the area around Bamburgh has some good areas, including Budle Bay and the sea off Stag Rock. And further north still, Lindisfarne is an excellent place to spend a day, with waders aplenty as you cross the causeway and coastline that attracts many species of seabirds.

If you head south from Craster, to Amble, there is a fantastic stretch of coastline with half a dozen or more great birding sites, including Amble braid, Hauxley NR, East Chevington, Druridge pools, Cresswell pond, down to the headland in Newbiggin which is good for seawatching.

Many thanks - I figured the Hairstreaks would be up in the Cheviots if anywhere, or at least on moorland. Just don't know whether they're up in your neck of the woods.

Many thanks for tips on coastal sites for birds - sound as if it could be a very enjoyable week.

Cheers!

Many thanks - I figured the Hairstreaks would be up in the Cheviots if anywhere, or at least on moorland. Just don't know whether they're up in your neck of the woods.

Many thanks for tips on coastal sites for birds - sound as if it could be a very enjoyable week.

Cheers!

If you fancy taking a scenic route on your way up Scaling Dam reservoir in North Yorks has a healthy colony of green hairstreaks as well as the potential for decent birds (here) and from there to RSPB Saltholme before proceeding on to Druridge bay and finally up to Craster.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back