• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdingcraft's 2009 Costa Rica list (1 Viewer)

Birdingcraft

Constrained (some might say handicapped) by the responsibilities associated with work, family, and lack of a car, I have nevertheless been steadfastly plodding along on my first big year for Costa Rica. I haven't been out birding as much as I would like, nor have I been wandering around in the middle of the night while searching for owls, nor running around on rarity chases. Despite going about it in a very calm manner, I have nearly reached 500 species. I won't put the whole list here but some of the highlights have been:
Black-eared Wood-Quail
King Vulture
Zone-tailed Hawk
Tiny Hawk
Plumbeous Kite
Crane Hawk
Double-striped Thick-knee
Costa Rica Pygmy Owl
Spot-fronted Swift
Snowcap
all 9 trogons except Elegant and Orange-bellied
Yellow-eared Toucanet (several)
Olivaceous Piculet
Streak-breasted Treehunter
Black-crowned Antpitta
Panama Flycatcher among 47 flycatcher sp.
Thrushlike Manakin
Bare-necked Umbrellabird
Snowy Cotinga
Sharpbill
Timberline Wren
Wrenthrush
Ashy-throated Bush-Tanager
Blue-and-Gold Tanager
Black-and-Yellow Tanager
Rufous-winged Tanager
Nicaraguan Seed-Finch

With migrants coming, I hope to get out more and hopefully pick up some shorebirds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back