• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding sites close to leicester? (1 Viewer)

Thadacorn

Hi I'm a new birder, living in Leicester. I am hoping to get a day free to spend birdwatching on Saturday. Does anyone know a good spot to visit, easily accessible by public transport (I don't mind a bit of a walk either :) ), within 1.5hrs of Leicester city centre?

Many thanks, John.

ps I have visited Rutland Water a number of times but am under the impression that it is a bit quiet at this time of year.

Should be plenty of waders at this time of year at Rutland Water.

Check out this link to latest bird news from Leicestershire and Rutland: http://www.lros.org.uk/News.htm

There is also a link from that page to 'Birding Sites' around the counties. Check, especially, No. 9 'Soar Valley' which is a number of sites just north of the city

Perhaps I was misinformed, I'll give Rutland Water a try, I'll have to brush up on my wader I.D. skills though.

The Soar valley gravel pits will fill in my Sunday as well!

Hi John. Have you joined the LROS? I'm fairly new to birding myself and live in Leicestershire. Was thinking about joining. cheers, Rob.

What about Birstall Lakes? Haven't been there for years as I now live downunder but I remember there were some lakes with wooden viewing hides back in the 1980's.

Eyebrook Reservoir and Graffham Water?

Difficult by public transport.

Aylestone Meadows can turn up migrants - if you are that side of Leicester it is worth a look.
Cropston Reservoir is on a bus route fro Leicester and has been producing waders recently, plus up to 23 Mandarins and 7 Litte Egrets.

Birstall Lakes is now part of Watermead Country Park, included in the 'Soar Valley' bit on the LROS website.

Well worth looking at www.lros.org.uk as Adey says, and you should certainly think about joining the LROS.

Steve

What you call Birstall lakes is now probably Watermead Country Park. The hides were vandalised and rebuilt like concrete bunkers however there is now a new reed bed nature reserve with a number hides. Well worth a visit.

I think, based on recent visits, Rutland Water seems to require a bit of patience and making sure you go to the right hide at the moment. There's stuff around, but not, by and large, seemingly in vast quantities. Anyway, always a pleasant day/afternoon out, and gives good opportunity to watch rather than just see some more familiar birds. Just sit and look and soak up the behaviour kind of thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back