• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding NZ in April/May (1 Viewer)

KHamblett

I'm considering taking an extended vacation in NZ in April/May and am curious as - in general - what to expect as far as the birding possibilities and weather conditions are concerned during those months.

I've never been to NZ and would not be looking for any bird in particular. I'm just going to bird and enjoy NZ but realize that April/May is close to the winter season. I didn't see any birding trips for April/May to reference, either.

Any thoughts, ideas, comments or things I should consider - will be welcomed...

Try this recent trip report compiled by Andrew Whitehouse
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=128143

Great trip report and pictures, but his trip was in November. Do you know of a trip report for April/May? Because it's likely that I'd be visiting April/May and I haven't found anything specific for those months. I've found lots of good info for NZ birding in general, but I'd be interested in finding some info about birding in April/May.

I've been to NZ in April/May. I mostly did South Island - cold at night largely OK during day on 1 trip, very wet on another. On both trips did very limited amount on NI, all around Auckland, Miranda is wonderful. Tiritiri Matangi is not top be missed.
On SI travelled around extensively and birded areas mI had found from other people's trip reports. Did pelagics from Kaikoura on both trips - amazing and builds up an excellent albatross list. Plenty of place down at Te Anua for walks in great habitat and woodland. Black stilts at Twizel are good, be careful of closing days for Doc if you want to visit.

Drop me a PM if you have an specifics, 4 years since I last went.

Phil

Late April and May on the West Coast gives us really stable Weather. I run Kiwi tours out into the bush at night, I love this time of year as the Kiwi's are actively getting excited about the upcoming breeding season...and.....the mozzies have clamed down abit from the balmy Summer nights.zzzzzzz ouch !
Ian Cooper

Thanks for the info, everybody - and a link to your thread, Larry. Using info from threads on this forum, I've created a flexible 6-week itinerary with birding hotspots, I just don't know exactly when I can visit. And, at this time, it looks like it may not be until April/May - and because most birding reports and organized tours are from Nov-March, I was a bit concerned that maybe birding during April/May in NZ is not all that great - and having thoughts of birding elsewhere.

I appreciate your comments, okaritoan, about kiwi spotting being good and the mossies being calmer! Helps calm my apprehension about visiting during that time....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back