• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Italy (1 Viewer)

sneeuwuil

sneeuwuil
Hello,

We want to go birding in Italy. We will plan it for two or three weeks between 7 july and the 15th of august. I know ... its certainly not the best time to go birding but its a typical compromise on a family holiday between mother-daughter and father-son relation. The girls have chosen the country (sun and if possible the sea or a swimmingpool), we could chose the region and we can go birding whenever we want ;-).
The problem is I never been before in Italy and there is not many (details) to find about on the internet. Perhaps there is nothing to see ... like a few other birders told me ?
The region we would like to go to ... everything to the north of Rome is ok. We travel with our own car and its possible to divide those two or three weeks in different places. So we can make a tour.

Any information or advice is more then welcome.

If there are places where we can see red-footed falcons (colonie in Valle del Mezzano ???), pygmy cormorans, Lesser Grey Shrike, Lanner- and Eleonora's falcons or other specialities in that region ... we love to know it.

Thanks !

Gert & Tom

Try searching for specific species on eBird. Italy is visited by a lot of tourists so their small lists accumulate over time.

It will probably be extremely hot so plan to arrive at the sites before dawn or the evening before. (My experience with this summer in Belgrade, which is about the same latitude in the Balkans, is that after 8am birding is finished for the day).

Cannot recommend more highly la Maremma

Dear Gert & Tom

Just a 90 minutes drive north of Rome will see you in southernmost Maremma in Lazio, and 30 minutes more into Maremma in Tuscany: a truly stunning and little known part of Italy that will give you breathtaking wild country, gorgeous beaches, loads of wonderful places to see and LOTs of birdwatching opportunities even as you drive along the highway :)

This part of Tuscany was still marshland until it was drained after the Second World War and nearly all of it is a wild life reserve, protected site, WWF site, regional park… some parts are even untouched by human hand.

You'll not only see birds, but wild boar, hares, foxes, deer, nutria and more.

I'd better mention that I'm biased :) as I live here.

Let me know if you need any more information. I have gathered a birdwatching info page together - which I am still adding to - on my website, which I hope helps. I will post the link here, but I really hope that I'm not violating any forum guidelines by doing so http://www.maremmaguide.com/birdwatching-in-maremma-tuscany.html

Regards
Donna

Last edited:
... its a typical compromise on a family holiday between mother-daughter and father-son relation. The girls have chosen the country (sun and if possible the sea or a swimmingpool), we could chose the region and we can go birding whenever we want ;-).

Maybe not what the ladies meant, but Sardinia is still Italy :)

Some excellent birding there, plus you could sneak over to Corsica for even more variety and the endemics.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back