• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Italy (3 Viewers)

Andyt

Hi,

I will have a couple of days in the Milan area in early October. Can anybody suggest sites in the nearby Alps for the usual species, i.e. Wallcreeper, Citril Finch, Alpine Accentor, Rock Partridge, Lammergeier, etc. Information on climate and local accomodation (self-catering) would also be most appreciated. I am also interested in the Po Delta. I have some info on this area but am looking for pointers as to what the best sites are at that time of year.

Hi Andy and welcome from all the staff and moderators at Bird Forum.

I'm sure someone will be along soon with some information for you.

Meanwhile check out the Member's Meetings forum, we are planning a couple over the next couple of months and you'd be welcome to join us if you can manage.

D

Hi,

Welcome to Birdforum.

For the Po Delta we have just the man, his name is Menotti Passarella, username on here is foxsparrow. He is actually is a birding guide, he is such a charming man - he was at the Rutland Birdfair a few weeks ago. He gave me a leaftlet about the area with maps and a birding list 376 species so far.

You could try PM him http://www.birdforum.net/member.php?u=30

Marmot said:
Hi,

Welcome to Birdforum.

For the Po Delta we have just the man, his name is Menotti Passarella, username on here is foxsparrow. He is actually is a birding guide, he is such a charming man - he was at the Rutland Birdfair a few weeks ago. He gave me a leaftlet about the area with maps and a birding list 376 species so far.

You could try PM him http://www.birdforum.net/member.php?u=30

Seconded! Always well informed, recommended! :scribe: Perhaps he may help you in getting in touch with people from the Milan area
Good birdin days,
Max

PS Welcome on board!

I will be visiting Italy for a family christening the weekend of September 23/24, specifically Valsesia, north west of Milan, staying in Borgosesia I think. (My brother married an Italian!).

Can anyone recommend any good sites in Valsesia (I will have a car) and does anyone know if the local Black Storks will have left by now and if not, where might be a good place to see them?

Andyt said:
Hi,

I will have a couple of days in the Milan area in early October. Can anybody suggest sites in the nearby Alps for the usual species, i.e. Wallcreeper, Citril Finch, Alpine Accentor, Rock Partridge, Lammergeier, etc. Information on climate and local accomodation (self-catering) would also be most appreciated. I am also interested in the Po Delta. I have some info on this area but am looking for pointers as to what the best sites are at that time of year.

Thanks Marmot !

Hi Andyt, let me start by pointing at the Po Delta. The best sites presently and in early October are, IMHO:
1. fishing basins along the road between Rosolina and Albarella, N of the road:
6.000 + Flamingos some days ago, really "flamingos at the door of Venice". The northernmost area of wintering flamingos in the world.
2. fishing basins and river branch along the road from Ca' Pisani downsteam. Nocturnal roost of 1.000+ Pygmy Cormorants presently, probably 2.000+ in early October, together with hundreds of Great-, Little- and Cattle Egrets and Night Herons. The most important site for Pigmies in W Europe and one of the most important of the whole Europe. 5 Ospreys some days ago. Wigeons winter with 20.000-60.000 individuals.
3. the reserve of Gorino, W of the lighthouse. Wintering site for thousands of waders, the only wintering site in Europe of Greater Sandplover.
4. the observation tower of Valle Mandriole, N of Ravenna: Pygmies, Spoonbills, African Spoonbill, Osprey and thousands of ducks (Mallards, Teals, Gadwalls, Pochards, Shovelers).

Last edited:
Thanks guy and especially Menotti,

Information most appreciated. Any pointers as to the best sites in the Alps in early October for the target species ?

Andyt

Andyt said:
Thanks guy and especially Menotti,

Information most appreciated. Any pointers as to the best sites in the Alps in early October for the target species ?

Andyt

I'd get yourself a copy of 'A Birdwatcher's Guide to Italy' by Luciano Ruggieri and Igor Festari (published by Lynx Ediciones) if you have not done so already. Don't be put off by the general quality of info that's in your usual 'Where to Watch' book. This one is highly informative - I've used it on all 3 of my Italy trips this year to good effect.

To answer your Alps query, I went to Bellamonte and Passo Rolle (both near Trento) in May this year, more details can be found here:
http://www.freewebs.com/richbonser/northernitalymay2006.htm

All the best and good luck

Rich

Thank you to Rich Bonser for pointing me in the direction of Luciano Ruggieri and Igor Festari. I have ordered a copy of their book and have been in contact with them regarding possible sites for apline species above Valsesia. The recommendation is Parco Naturale Alpe Devero, but they have no sites for Wallcreeper or Rock Partridge here. For those, head across to Gran Paradiso National Park in Valle D'Aosta.

Their website is www.birdguide.it and they can be contacted through there.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back