• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Donana National Park (1 Viewer)

Shumi

Ukraine
Hi All,

I plan to spend a day or two birding in Danana national park in Southern Spain. Ideally I would bird there on my own, but I am not really sure whether that is at all possible - all i can find is agencies offering birding tours there, and no independent birders report.

Could any one with experience of birding in Danana pls comment on the following:

• can you travel across Donana without a guide - in your private car or by bicycle or on foot?
  • In Donana there is a place called the Vera, like a narrow strip between stable sand soil and marshland. I understand it may be a good place to look for raptors, including the Spanish Imeprial Eagle (SEA). Could any one share their experiences of visiting the Vera? Did it live up to your expectations?
  • Lastly, has anybody seen the SEA in the Donana park and, if yes, at what spot?

Thanks,

Alexander

Hi Alexander,

Yes, it is possible to travel by car and on a bicycle, the roads and tracks are in good condition and are accessible. On foot is also possible but it is a huge area.

There are a couple of small reserves on the west side of the road to Matalascanas, the first La Rocina, opposite the Marimas at El Rocio and El Acebuche, 10 km down the road.

The road to Isla Mayor provides plenty of opportunity to see waders, storks and glossy ibis in the rice fields. From Isla Mayor you can drive to the Jose Antonio Valverde Centre.

I haven’t come across a place called Vera, well not in Donana.

I have seen Spanish Imperial Eagle, southeast corner of the Marimas, in the spring.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers Bill

The Coto is a very special place but large areas are inaccessible and, with the exception of Azure-winged Magpie, several species are actually easier to see and sites more accessible across the Guadalquivir in Cadiz province and Brazo del Este in Seville province (contact me for site information if you go there). In addition, you have a good chance of finding other species absent or scarce on the Coto (e.g. Little Swift) and if based somewhere like Jerez you're not too far from good mountain habitats. Try looking at the 'Birding places website.

Agree with the others, especially the Valverde Centre. But I also saw a Lynx in the Coto. Worth it for the chance of this alone.

Unfortunately the Andalusian regional parliament is just passing a law that will probably destroy Doñana.

There are a lot of illegal wells and that law will give them an amnesty. The water reservoir is already depleted, so it can only get worse.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back