• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding destinations for November Western Palearctic (2 Viewers)

Neilbirder

Hello all my wife would like a holiday in November next year any suggestions on locations within the Western Palearctic that would be half decent in this month?

Thank you

November isn’t a great month really (no real specialities unlike most other months) but I would suggest somewhere in the south, the canaries, Morocco, Spain etc) for the biggest variety. But as Stephen says it does depend what your priorities are.
James

Are you looking for new birds, numbers of species or migration? I guess it also depends where you've already been.
Hi Stephen thank you for your reply, looking for new birds, to be honest, I've only been birding in Kos, Portugal, a cruise around Canaries (so limited time there) and Majorca in the past (I have been to the USA birding numerics times Cape May etc)

November isn’t a great month really (no real specialities unlike most other months) but I would suggest somewhere in the south, the canaries, Morocco, Spain etc) for the biggest variety. But as Stephen says it does depend what your priorities are.
James
Hi James, thank you for taking the time to reply yes I understand November isn't a great month but my wife's holiday time is limited. We have considered Morocco, Spain sounds interesting too?

Morocco might be the best for variety and a lot of new birds. Israel or Egypt would also be very good if you want to go slightly further afield. Spain and Portugal would be decent and NE Greece should be good too. Definitely go south, not least because you'll get more daylight as well as more birds.

Israel and Morocco are surely the two best winter WP destinations. Yes, there are good birds everywhere around the Mediterranean all throughout winter but it doesn't come even close to what Israel and Morocco can offer at this time. Israel has this particularly interesting feature when you have the desert birds in the south present year-long and then in the north, you have half of the entire Europe worth of completely different species wintering.

Surely you have other desert destinations - Jordan, Egypt, ... Kuwait if you are slightly insane (as am I for example) but you are still not going to match the list of birds you'll see in Israel because of the unique combination of habitats and geography.

If that's too much than the next best thing is southern Spain, but you gave been to Portugal, so there would be a bit of overlap in species. The nice thing about November in Andalusia is that it is, in a way, the spring - it's when rains come after a typically dry summers, so the nature is pretty nice.

November's a good time to visit Oman, which is a fantastic and very easy birding destination.

Oh for sure, Oman is fantastic for November, but there is a large divide of opinions on whether it is WP :)
Indeed, but I prefer to have more birds to look for than fewer 😌. Granted I have a maximalist view of the WP and include all of Arabia.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back