• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Buenos Aires province around New year (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
Birding Buenos Aires province around New Year

I have a few days around New Year to go birding in the province of Buenos Aires, Argentina. So far, I have set my goals to visit Costanera Sur in Buenos Aires, San Clemente del Tuyù and Punta Rasa, and finally Otamendi Reserve.

Now, looking through the list in Narosky/Yzurieta, I realize there would be some other areas "nearby". These are, in the order listed in the book: Ceibas, Baradero Cliffs, Ribera Norte Reserve, Punta Lara Reserve, El Destino Reserve, Lagunas Encadenadas.

So here is my question: Are any of these areas preferable over what I already plan to visit, or are there any that are at least worth a detour for? And if so, could anyone give me directions, as I have no detailed maps for the province of Buenos Aires. And Wheatley is of no help either.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I just returned from Argentina, and it much depends from what species you are interested. EG. Ribera Norte holds Scarlet-headed Blackbird which is rare in Costanera Sur.

Ceibas is supposed to be very good, but I don't know particular species or sites.

Hola Swissboy:

Ceibas lies 120 Km north of the city of Buenos Aires. You must take route 9 to the north up to the city of Zarate and there take route 14 to Ceibas. Route 14 continues to Gualeguaychu, Colon and farther north to the province of Misiones. Ceibas is a small town at the side of route 14. You could travel all the earth routes around Ceibas or a little bit farther north the ways around Perdices.

Baradero Cliffs are on the route 9 farther away than Zarate. It's a town called Baradero and it's ussually a place visited by fishers. On secondary ways near the cliffs over the Parana river you could go birding.

RIbera Norte is a small reserve in San Isidro, a city in the northern part of Great Buenos Aires. You could go there by train or taxi or bus. Here's a webpage: http://www.geocities.com/riberan/ . Important to take into account is if it's open at new year's day.

Have no info about Punta Lara, El Destino, and Encadenadas. Only comment to Punta Lara is: Take care about robbers.

Fritz73 said:
Hola Swissboy:

Ceibas lies 120 Km north of the city of Buenos Aires. You must take route 9 to the north up to the city of Zarate and there take route 14 to Ceibas. Route 14 continues to Gualeguaychu, Colon and farther north to the province of Misiones. Ceibas is a small town at the side of route 14. You could travel all the earth routes around Ceibas or a little bit farther north the ways around Perdices.

Baradero Cliffs are on the route 9 farther away than Zarate. It's a town called Baradero and it's ussually a place visited by fishers. On secondary ways near the cliffs over the Parana river you could go birding.

RIbera Norte is a small reserve in San Isidro, a city in the northern part of Great Buenos Aires. You could go there by train or taxi or bus. Here's a webpage: http://www.geocities.com/riberan/ . Important to take into account is if it's open at new year's day.

Have no info about Punta Lara, El Destino, and Encadenadas. Only comment to Punta Lara is: Take care about robbers.

Muchas gracias Fritz:

How safe are the places I intend to visit? And as my time is rather limited, would you suggest to stick to those places or should I substitute one or two by the ones you gave me directions for?

And special thanks for that link. This really provides quite a bit of very useful info.

Last edited:
Swissboy said:
Muchas gracias Fritz:

How safe are the places I intend to visit? And as my time is rather limited, would you suggest to stick to those places or should I substitute one or two by the ones you gave me directions for?

And special thanks for that link. This really provides quite a bit of very useful info.

Safe places are Costanera Sur, Punta Rasa, Ribera Norte, Baradero Cliffs and Ceibas. For Ceibas, Punta Rasa or Baradero you need a car.

Take care in Otamendi - don't show any equipment near the train station. Best take them out inside the reserve. Some people go birding along the way to the river but I think you shouldn't do it alone.

If you like we could meet in Buenos Aires. If so, then please PM me.

Fritz73 said:
Safe places are Costanera Sur, Punta Rasa, Ribera Norte, Baradero Cliffs and Ceibas. For Ceibas, Punta Rasa or Baradero you need a car.

Take care in Otamendi - don't show any equipment near the train station. Best take them out inside the reserve. Some people go birding along the way to the river but I think you shouldn't do it alone.

If you like we could meet in Buenos Aires. If so, then please PM me.

Thanks for your offer and your info, Fritz. I'll have a car for Otamendi, driving there directly from San Clemente. I'm not sure yet about birding times in BA as I have to coordinate with my daughter and son-in law.

Robert:

Take into account that Costanera Sur (and possibly Ribera Norte) will be closed the 24, 25, 30 of December and the 1st of Jannuary.

Fritz73 said:
Robert:

Take into account that Costanera Sur (and possibly Ribera Norte) will be closed the 24, 25, 30 of December and the 1st of Jannuary.

Thank you Fritz, I had thought Costanera Sur would be closed on the 26th because it is a Monday. So I figured I should go there on the 25th. No Problem with the other days. I'll be at San Clemente for New Year, and I'll only leave Switzerland on the 24th. Any chance that Costanera Sur will be open on the 26th instead?

Swissboy said:
Thank you Fritz, I had thought Costanera Sur would be closed on the 26th because it is a Monday. So I figured I should go there on the 25th. No Problem with the other days. I'll be at San Clemente for New Year, and I'll only leave Switzerland on the 24th. Any chance that Costanera Sur will be open on the 26th instead?

26th as all mondays will be closed.

Fritz73 said:
26th as all mondays will be closed.

Thanks Fritz, that was a bit of a problem at first. But we still had part of the 27th, and the laguna outside the reserve gave us a start to some species, at least. Unfortunately, many swamps are rather dry this year. It has been a problem both for Otamendi and Ribera Norte, as well. So We have missed a good number of potential species; aside from the ones I have been unable to identify. On the other hand, we were virtually flooded at Punta Tombo!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back