• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding around Maastricht? (2 Viewers)

Hey ody,

Maastricht is very well known for its Eagle Owls. Just outside of Maastricht (at the St Pieterberg) is the only spot to see this owl in Holland (on a certain base).

Next to that the Maas river runs past the city which should be good for some birding at certain points.

Im not too well informed on Maastricht so far, but this should help you somehow, more likely they will be able to point out some good places at the tourist information!

Have a great time!

btw, i see you are a primary school teacher, good! Me too :)

If you have plans coming up more north in the country i might be able to join you on a trip somehow.

Last edited:
It may be quiet (birdwise) around Maastricht in August, but there'll be many tourists. Public transport (or bike) can carry you anywhere.
Middle Spotted Woodpecker occurs in the forests, but finding it is tough!
The Eagle Owls are problematic because the outlook is overgrown (but if you want to try & if you have a map: take the Luikerweg south uphill to the parking area... then the outlook into the quarry is on your right).
To the north and south, the gravel industry has created a lot of lakes which can be interesting for waders and ducks [probably very few in August] (e.g. Oost-Maarland, Itteren, but the one near Meers is best).
A beautiful forest (for Dutch standards) is situated around the railway just north of Bunde (railway station), also the forests east of Epen (bus) are nice.
I should add that in summer, most birders go to Maastricht and surroundings to watch butterflies, amphibians, dragonflies or plants...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back