• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird song identification, Pennsylvania, USA (1 Viewer)

jmepler

It's just a flesh wound.
United States
I recorded this bird call on June 9th at Middle Creek WMA in northern Lancaster County here in Pennsylvania.

The bird was calling from a brushy row of trees near a small stream. There were grassy fields on one side and corn and oat fields on the other.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Unknown 01.wav
    263.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Sonogram 01.jpg
    Sonogram 01.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 74
It didn't sound thrush-like in person, very clean, relatively sweet whistle.

Tufted Titmouse was considered, I couldn't find any recordings of TUTI making a similar type of call though.

The bird sang only what I recorded, repeated every 2 seconds or so, 10 to 20 times before pausing for a few minutes. I only included 2 repetitions because my recording was cluttered up with other bird calls.

I am pondering whether it may not be a bird at all.

The closest thing the I have been able to find is Ash-throated Flycatcher.

This recording at Xeno-Canto is a little more burry than my recording, but close; sonogram is comparable as well.

It wouldn't be unheard of to find one here, but very unusual this time of the year.

Great-crested Flycatcher was also suggested, but I don't hear that.

Any opinions?

It does have a thrush like quality to it. I repeated it over and over again, but didn't come up with anything more substantial than maybe a robin. But robins don't usually repeat the same song over and over again.

You got me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back