• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of Prey Erongo mountains, Namibia 13 June 2022 (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi,
please help with the ID. I think it might be a immature Wahlberg's Eagle.

Many thanks

Attachments

• _ARD8241.JPG
    _ARD8241.JPG
    695.4 KB · Views: 44
  • _ARD8244.JPG
    _ARD8244.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 44
Are we sure both shots are of the same bird? The bill of the first looks very different to that of the second. It's better for a buzzard or perhaps even Wahlberg's. Agree the second

Are we sure both shots are of the same bird? The bill of the first looks very different to that of the second. It's better for a buzzard or perhaps even Wahlberg's. Agree the second
It was in the middle of the series, pics on either side like second so I think so. It might equally be the Wahlberg's/buzzard. I can't remember, a stroke does that to you...

EDIT: all the rest were from below

I thought the terminal band might be too narrow for AHE, hence my reason for posting.

It was in the middle of the series, pics on either side like second so I think so. It might equally be the Wahlberg's/buzzard. I can't remember, a stroke does that to you...

I thought the terminal band might be too narrow for AHE, hence my reason for posting.
Well call me crazy but these are 2 different birds for me.

EDIT: all the rest were from below

Wondered where you'd been, hope you're recovering well Andy.

Thanks Andy, its an old stroke, dec 92, but my memory is shot. Having a lot of pain dispite opiates. I still try to be on here as often as I can manage.

Thanks Andy, its an old stroke, dec 92, but my memory is shot. Having a lot of pain dispite opiates. I still try to be on here as often as I can manage.
Get off the opiates mate, I was addicted for over twenty years, I'll be honest, the only reason I stopped (and did cold Turkey which was horrendous) was because I can't get any in Cyprus!

these are 2 different birds for me
I suspect it but I absolutely don't guarantee it. Certainly the bill alone isn't enough to go on: pic 1 is near-head-on and thus poor for judging bill-depth; and tail-shape/attitude is closely similar in the two photos - and there are also similarities in the pattern formed by the feather-tips across the end of the tail.
However, as the photographer doesn't know, but indicates cause for doubt, we can't ever know either - or not without seeing other photos in the series which have not been posted here.

without seeing other photos in the series which have not been posted here.
I could post all 25, but no other is of the top 1 is of the side with a bit of the top, mainly the wing so here are another 5

Attachments

• _ARD8257.JPG
    _ARD8257.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 13
  • _ARD8240.JPG
    _ARD8240.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • _ARD8247.JPG
    _ARD8247.JPG
    392 KB · Views: 14
  • _ARD8250.JPG
    _ARD8250.JPG
    643.5 KB · Views: 13
  • _ARD8248.JPG
    _ARD8248.JPG
    603.6 KB · Views: 14
From the (presumably-automatic) photo-numbering, one of the two upperwing shots lies within the sequence of underwing shots, which is suggestive of a single bird.

From the (presumably-automatic) photo-numbering, one of the two upperwing shots lies within the sequence of underwing shots, which is suggestive of a single bird.
This would be logical, yes and as there are no photos of the other bird, which would be highly unusual for me, there probably wasn't. I tend to shoot first and observe after I have the record shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back