• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird captured by infrared camera and Call help, China. (1 Viewer)

xuky.summer

Qingdao, Shandong province.
Last Sunday I went to recover the infrared camera and saw this bird, less than 500 meters above sea level, breed in this location and with similar patterns there are Gray-backed thrush, Blue-and-white Flycatcher and Siberian Blue Robin (but it is above 900 meters). The closest I think is the Gray-backed Thrush, but the pattern on the sides of the chest and the flanks doesn't seem to match. Is there any other possibility?
The sound was also recorded last Sunday at an altitude of 1000 meters. At first, I thought it was the sound of the Asian Brown Flycatcher, but I did not hear a similar sound on the xeno-canto.org website. Is it the sound of a juv bird? Saw a few adult a few days ago.
Thank you very much!

Attachments

• 微信图片_20220706133052.jpg
    微信图片_20220706133052.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 微信图片_20220706133110.jpg
    微信图片_20220706133110.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 44
  • ZOOM0003.MP3
    1.2 MB
I think you're right with Grey-backed Thrush for the camera trap bird. I think maybe the problem is that the IR lighting on the camera doesn't show the contrast between the flanks and belly, making the bird look uniform below. The shape and structure, and the overall pattern of colours, looks right for male Grey-backed.

I think you're probably right with Asian Brown Flycatcher for the call as well. I don't recognise this call but it sounds almost like a mix of the high-pitched contact call and the rattling alarm call.

Hi Xuky:

I attach a sound file of a juvenile Asian Brown Flycatcher from my area in Nara (there are crows and Japanese Bush Warblers in the background and possibly other things, but I think it's clear that the tsssss sound is the baby bird).

Then the photos are of the baby bird in the sound recording, and the same bird on the same branch with its mum (or dad).

The recording was taken with a sound recorder actually designed for meetings, which means if I move even slightly it records my shoe scraping on the ground, even though I think I'm being as quiet as I can, and at a much higher volume than the bird I am trying to record. If anyone has a tip on a good bird sound recorder, please post.

I find XenoCanto very difficult to use especially in my area because one or two people upload every single recording they make (hundreds) however unclear, and although people can give star ratings it doesn't seem to help much.

View attachment 20060908 ABFJuv.MP3

200624006 Nara Ponds.jpg

200624005 Nara Ponds.jpg

Than you very much!

Grey-backed Thrush seems to be a not uncommon breeding bird in my city, encountered from the foothills to over 1000 altitudes. It also sounds a bit different from the xeno-canto, and I'm more looking forward to discovering other thrush breeding, such as the Pale Thrush and the Eyebrowed Thrush.

If Asian Brown Flycatcher can breed in Nara, it seems normal to breed here as well, I saw multiple individuals at multiple locations this summer, but unfortunately no broods have been found.

Than you very much!

Grey-backed Thrush seems to be a not uncommon breeding bird in my city, encountered from the foothills to over 1000 altitudes. It also sounds a bit different from the xeno-canto, and I'm more looking forward to discovering other thrush breeding, such as the Pale Thrush and the Eyebrowed Thrush.

If Asian Brown Flycatcher can breed in Nara, it seems normal to breed here as well, I saw multiple individuals at multiple locations this summer, but unfortunately no broods have been found.
Hi again Xuky:

Part of the point of my post above was that my definite young Asian Brown Flycatcher doesn't quite sound like your bird because my bird seems to have a fairly straightforward sound while your recording seems to have a warble (i.e. up-down vocalisation).

I'm attaching two other recordings I've made in exactly the same spot as the previous recording, but a year earlier. We have Narcissus Flycatchers which breed in the same spot. One thing that surprises me is that the Narcissus sings its song all through the summer, but the Asian Brown only sings for a couple of days and (presumably) once mating has happened, it stops.

Anyway, my attached recording is from 20th April, and seems to show just a call - and this is the nearest I have to your bird.

View attachment 190420 ABF NP.MP3

190422006 Nara Ponds.jpg

Attachments

• 190422 0952 ABF NP.mp3
    1.3 MB
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back