• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird box bedding (1 Viewer)

dave gore

hope you fine people can help

i have put up two bird boxes in our garden, one hopefully for the sparrows and one for the blue tits but when i bought them the lady in the shop wasn't too sure as to what should be used as nesting material and sold me some rabbit bedding which she thought would be ok, so can anyone tell me whether it will be or if not or is there anything else i should go out and buy just in case there are already some birds checking out the boxes

thanks in advance

dave

Hi Dave.
dont worry about material, they will find thier own, but you can give them a start, we tend to hang up dried grasses, feathers, loose plucked grass, & scatter some of these around the hedges in the garden. they do tend to make the most of it but thats all you need to do. Best of luck, keep us posted eh.
bert.

Hi Dave,

I put up a new birdbox a couple of months back and read somewhere that it is a good thing to put some dried grass in it - presumably to aid insulation if the box was used for shelter in the winter.

Well - this helpful advice was obviously not written by a Coal Tit, who has spent the last few weeks trying to fish all the dried grass out through the entrance hole....

Leave it empty would be my advice...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back