• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Binos (1 Viewer)

ranburr

Is anyone familiar with the 16-40x80 Swift binos? I am considering these as a replacement for a spotting scope. I am not very familiar with Swift products. I get the impression that they are of mid-level quality, this is based on looking solely at their prices. I am guessing that they are made in Japan. Any info on these binos and the overall quality of Swift products would be greatly appreciated.

ranburr

These days they may be made in China.

I would be surprised if they gave very good images only zoomed half way, let alone full zoom. I suggest if you buy one, make sure the company selling it has a very good return policy just in case you aren't happy with this zoom binocular.

Good luck,
Rich

Are these new or used Swift Zoom binoculars? I don't see them listed on some of the usual sites I use when I want to buy a new binocular.

Rich

Swift

ranburr said:
Is anyone familiar with the 16-40x80 Swift binos? I am considering these as a replacement for a spotting scope. I am not very familiar with Swift products. I get the impression that they are of mid-level quality, this is based on looking solely at their prices. I am guessing that they are made in Japan. Any info on these binos and the overall quality of Swift products would be greatly appreciated.

ranburr
My first post, so hope I don't mess up somebodys post. Cannot comment on the 16-40x80, but as far as Swift quality goes it is pretty good. I have 2 10x50 Kestrals and several 10x42 Ultralites. The 10x50's are an excellent binocular, especially for the price. I honestly cannot tell the difference between the view through a Nikon 12x50 SE and the Swift 10x50 Kestral. Of course my eyes are not real young. The 10x42's are o.k. especially for the price. I have no trouble recommending Swift binoculars.

Best wishes

JDonley

I don't know about the big binos, but I have a pair of Swift Audubons 8.5 X 44 and they are made in Japan. I'm quite happy with them and would only get rid of them if I was going to buy something considerably more expensive like Leica Ultravids.

Rich, why would they give a poor sight picture. I don't know why these would zoom zny different then a spotting scope. Please educate me.

ranburr

ranburr said:
Rich, why would they give a poor sight picture. I don't know why these would zoom zny different then a spotting scope. Please educate me.

ranburr

Every zoom binocular I've looked through gave soft images at full zoom (highest power). The images also had a lot of CA at full zoom. These zooms were much less expensive than the one you are asking about.

I'm not sure if the Leica Duovid is considered a zoom binocular. It does give fine images, although at the expense of the size of the true field.

While this binocular is relatively expensive I just don't trust that they would be as good as spotting scope around the same price. This binocular is two spotting scopes. Where are they cutting the costs?

I'll take a look at the website.

Rich

Last edited:
After looking at the Swift website just two things come to mind. The eye relief number is likely at low power. The eye relief may be less as the magnification is zoomed higher. The close focus is 72 feet. Close focus for a good spotting scope is usually quite a bit closer.

The close focus on a Leica 77 Televid (achromat) is 12.6 feet.

It doesn't look as if the Swift 16-40x80 binocular is waterproof. It looks like it has a standard focuser for a porro prism binocular, where both eyepieces move in and out on an arm. I would be very surprised if this is as rugged as an $800 to $1000 USD spotting scope.

Maybe this big zoom binocular will give you what you want. If you get one please give us a report. A bunch of us may want one, or we will know what to avoid.

Rich

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back