• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bestwood Country Park. (1 Viewer)

k.k.stevenson1

Bestwood Country Park is situated about five miles north of Nottingham.The park comrises 600 acres in three distinct areas. Woodland-250acres-an area of mixed secondary woodland on an ancient woodland site .A management regime is in place to woodlands. Open grasslands-200acres-an area of grassland with scrub edges and a area of marshy scrub on top of the old pit. Mill lakes and meadows-150acres an area of water through which the River Leen runs which also includes a small reed bed. Access 24hours a day Numerous tracks and trails to explore. Access for vehicles is Car park 1 at SK572464. TOreach this car park turn off Oxclose Lane into Queens Bower Road.Take the first right Bestwood Lodge Hotel.Car park 2 at AK555476.This car park is situated at the Winding House and is located by turning off Moor Road(B683)into Park Road in bestwood Village .Continue up Park Road for about half a mile and the car is on the right hand side BIRDS The Park as all the woodland and grassland birds you might expect in such habitats including all three woodpeckers.

Yes and The Big wood.For more info contact Mark Gash or Bob moody (Rangers). The Rangers Office Alexandra Lodges Bestwood Country Park Northern Drive Bestwood Village Nottingham NG68UH.01159273674. Ken

I take it you get good birds here then because of the good habitat. Is this true? I may take a ride up there in the next few weeks if the weather brightens up a bit.

Hi Anna. Bestwood Park as every thing Woods Fields and a Lake.I think you will like it.Not been down recently not been very well. but on the mend.So i will get down soon.

Hi Ken. Hope you get better soon.

Do you know what birds you can get there? - I have never been before so i don't know.

Hi Ken. Hope you get better soon.

Do you know what birds you can get there? - I have never been before so i don't know.

Hi Anna,

Bestwood Country Park is my local patch... it has a wide range of habitats in a relatively small area.

There are two web pages on Notts Birders that cover the site, but they're a bit out of date in terms of what you're likely to find:

http://www.nottsbirders.net/bestwood.php
http://www.nottsbirders.net/bestwoodmilllakes.php

I've put some details of my visits in the Notts Birding thread on BirdForm, but barely anyone uses the thread at present, so I haven't bothered much:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=69383

You can also see my 2007 year list (see link in my signature), but the more experienced birders are about 10-20 species up on me this year ;)

Finally, a comprehensive bird report for 2006 is available from the rangers' office within the park for a small fee.

Reply or PM me if you want any specific details |=)|

Ken,I used to live on the outskirts of Bestwood Country Park-Rees Gardens-,then later when I married,Barry,--Stacey Ave.We used to walk the dogs through the woods every day.Lots of Woodies and Jays,a veritable birders paradise.Good luck with your birding.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back