• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best time to bird in a Alaska. (1 Viewer)

Birder1844

NY birder
Hello,
I was wondering when is the best time to hit spring bird migration in Alaska? My brother, Dad and I will be staying in Anchorage. Is there any inexpensive pelagic day tour near there? We have no clue where is the best place to bird near anchorage either. We also enjoy photography, and would enjoy taking pics of Grizzly Bears. Do any of you know when the best time to see them is, and where?

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Consider joining the Yahoo group: AK birding. It is a listserv and people send out information about bird sightings or you could ask about possible trips.

You will want to check out Potter's Marsh for a large variety of birds migrating through. It is on the south side of Anchorage on the road to Seward. I have never been bored their bird watching.

As far as bears you will want to take a day trip into Denali via their bus system. It is about 4 hours drive north of ANC. There has been a lot of development around the park entrance as far as hotels but yo might want to book early.

You might consider a Kenai Fjord tour out of Seward for sea birds. They will take you into the fjords and your bound to see cliff nesting birds like puffins, etc.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back