• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best options for selling spotting scope? (1 Viewer)

rpg51

I've had my Kowa TSN 883 listed in the classified section here for a while but the listing has not generated any interest. This is a real surprise to me. So, I am wondering if anyone might have a suggestion where I might get some more exposure and interest in my scope. I could list on eBay, but my experience there of late is that the sellers fees are very high and so I would like to avoid that if possible. Is there another place that birders/hunters look for used scopes in some numbers?

Rokslide is a hunting forum I belong to solely for the purpose of buying and selling. You need to have 8-10 posts, or pay $50, after joining to qualify for the Classifieds section. I chose to be frugal and patient to qualify and made a few optics posts where appropriate. I've had a lot more action there, probably because the US hunting community is larger than the birding community. Also, they generally seem more willing to spend. The 883 has some fans there.

Gonna buy an R3 are ya?

Thanks.

I pretty much sank to the depths of photo related GAS and ended up with an R5 and a bunch of RF zoom lenses, plus an off brand macro lens, various lighting gear, a new computer that can handle these huge files, etc. All this spending I've been doing is going to come to a screeching halt when I retire in about 3 months. I plan to use this money, and a lens sale, to fund the purchase of a couple of fast prime lenses, (RF 50 1.2 and RF 85 1.2) that I have fallen head over heels in love with. I am feeling very satisfied with the R5. Don't think that will change for the forseeable future.

But, do you have the R3? :)

Thanks.

I pretty much sank to the depths of photo related GAS and ended up with an R5 and a bunch of RF zoom lenses, plus an off brand macro lens, various lighting gear, a new computer that can handle these huge files, etc. All this spending I've been doing is going to come to a screeching halt when I retire in about 3 months. I plan to use this money, and a lens sale, to fund the purchase of a couple of fast prime lenses, (RF 50 1.2 and RF 85 1.2) that I have fallen head over heels in love with. I am feeling very satisfied with the R5. Don't think that will change for the forseeable future.

As an owner of the R3, R5, and R7, I'm starting to get to the point that I prefer the R5 for the majority of things, but the R3 clearly wins in autofocus for birds in flight. The R5 is good enough for most of them, although the difference is particularly notable on swallows.

My chances of getting a swallow in flight are nill. As time goes on maybe I'll get better. The R5 has seen improvements with the firmware upgrades.

Do you have a big telephoto prime?

I'll be selling an RF 24-70 if you have any interest let me know. Its just about mint.

Thanks.

No R3 here, but definitely familiar with the siren song of mirrorless photography GAS. Switched from Canon to Sony back in 2020. Grew tired of my 7dII and Tamron 150-600. After being surprised with a small inheritance I thought I'd move up to a 5DIV. Discovered Art Morris and others singing the praises of the Sony mirrorless system after a little research. Went a little overboard, picking up a a7RIV & 200-600, then a a used a9ii and 100-400. Then the phenomenal a1 came out. And like you, added a new PC for the files. Probably would have stayed with Canon had the the R5 & R6 come out a couple years earlier. Have been toying with the idea of selling the 100-400 and getting the Tamron 150-500 for tour use. The 200-600 is great, but takes up a lot of carry-on bag space.

I retired at the end of 2021, but have coasted this year with a part time contract to fund toys and home repairs. With the down turn I probably will remain part-time next year.

I use fredmiranda.com for photo classifieds.

My chances of getting a swallow in flight are nill. As time goes on maybe I'll get better. The R5 has seen improvements with the firmware upgrades.

Do you have a big telephoto prime?

I'll be selling an RF 24-70 if you have any interest let me know. Its just about mint.
Yes—RF 600/4 and RF 400/2.8. I almost always use the RF 600. I have a 28-70 so no need for the 24-70.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back