• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best fungi guide(s) for the UK (1 Viewer)

Stuart Goodwin

Good morning and seasons greetings.

Can anyone recommend a guide for identifiying UK fungI please? The lockdowns have meant I have spent more time in local woodlands in late autumn than I would have normally and I have started take note/ photo’s of fungI.

Thank you in advance,

Regards

Probably rather late now but there are a number of field guides that will help in identifying certain species, or at least give you the opportunity of getting to family level, also bearing in mind that the majority of species need microscopy to obtain an id.

Thanks Dave.
I've been searching around and have come to a choice between this or Roger Phillips, "Mushrooms".
I still haven't decided, but this one is quite a bit lighter, weight wise.
My main concern is that this doesn't use photographs, but has paintings.
Fof

Probably rather late now but there are a number of field guides that will help in identifying certain species, or at least give you the opportunity of getting to family level, also bearing in mind that the majority of species need microscopy to obtain an id.

Thank you for the reply. I’ve ordered the Collins shown above but it was a toss up between that book and a photographic Collins (I believe).

Regards

Perhaps not if just starting out, but FTE highly recommended to get you to genus or there abouts
Fungi of Temperate Europe. Vol. 1-2 by Laessoe, T.; Petersen, J.h. (pemberleybooks.com)

You can download some important bits here for free
www.mycokey.com/Downloads/FungiOfTemperateEurope_Wheels.pdf

As mentioned above, most fungi need microscopic examination of spores etc for accurate ID.

For fun try the AI at mycokey, might work for very distinctive species, and can get you to genus sometimes.
Danmarks Svampeatlas (databasen.org)

Sandy
Thanks for the info re Collins book with photographs.
I now have 3 to decide between.:eek::eek::eek:

Attachments

• collins-complete-british-mushrooms-and-toadstools-paul-sterry.jpg
    collins-complete-british-mushrooms-and-toadstools-paul-sterry.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 2
Perhaps not if just starting out, but FTE highly recommended to get you to genus or there abouts
Fungi of Temperate Europe. Vol. 1-2 by Laessoe, T.; Petersen, J.h. (pemberleybooks.com)

You can download some important bits here for free
www.mycokey.com/Downloads/FungiOfTemperateEurope_Wheels.pdf

As mentioned above, most fungi need microscopic examination of spores etc for accurate ID.

For fun try the AI at mycokey, might work for very distinctive species, and can get you to genus sometimes.
Danmarks Svampeatlas (databasen.org)
Evening.

Thank you very much. I’ll investigate.

Regards

I have 5 and still can't identify the bleeding things 90% of the time. To even have a vague chance it's worth having at least a couple as they all have advantages and disadvantages e.g the Collins Complete Guide doesn't show the gills.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back