• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Dorset Heathland ? (1 Viewer)

Nigel Davies

Next week 21st to 28th my wife and myself will be visiting Dorset for a week's birdwatching. Please can anyone recommend the best Heathland to visit. We will be staying in the Weymouth area.

Many thanks Nigel.

Hi Nigel,
my favourite area is morden bog accessed from the sherford bridge carpark on the B3075 wareham to morden road. This area is good for hobby, woodlark, tree pipit, dartford warbler, siskin, cuckoo and redstart, probably also nightjar at the right time of year. I've seen crossbill and hen harrier there also but in winter, and the area around sherford is a known stakeout for lesser-spotted woodpecker (but i've never had any luck)
pm me if you need any more help,
James

Nigel

I'm hardly an expert, having visited Dorset all of 4 times, but this might help ...

http://dorsetwildlife.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=9

We were there at Easter. We thought that The Arne was exquisite early in the morning - well worth the early start - and Durlston CP was lovely too.

We spent a few hours in a wild, remote and little visited heathland reserve that I am struggling to remember the name of. Hopefully a local can help me out. It's between Monkey World (honest) and a golf course. High something Heath? Good for reptiles - we saw plenty of Sand Lizards - and it was the only place we saw, rather than heard Darford Warbler.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back